This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.02 / 51°1'11"N
Longitude: -4.2054 / 4°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 245414
OS Northings: 126827
OS Grid: SS454268
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4GF
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.3H1
Entry Name: Warmington's Garage
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375741
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET
842-1/5/27 (North side)
Large house, now garage with flats above. Mid C19, but said to
retain substantial portions of the first house on the site,
built in 1692. Solid rendered Italianate front. Slate roof.
Rendered chimney on each side-wall of front range, the moulded
caps decorated with large-scale egg-and-dart.
L-shaped plan with double-depth front range and rear wing to
left; staircase right of centre in rear section of front
3 storeys; 3-window range. Ground storey wholly cut away
(apart from a few structural walls) to insert garage.
Ground storey has 2 large, inserted garage-entrances, but
origianl doorway remains in centre. Half-glazed door (probably
an inner door originally) with 2 solid moulded panels in the
lower part. Moulded cornice at sill-level in second storey.
Outer windows in upper storeys are of 3 lights; middle windows
of 1 light. Second-storey windows have pilasters between and
flanking the lights, these supporting entablatures.
Third-storey windows have moulded eared architraves and
bracketed sills. Both storeys have plain sashes; upper sashes
in the 3-light windows have curved top corners, while sashes
in the middle windows (probably later replacements) have
horns. Grand top entablature with dentilled architrave and
INTERIOR not inspected, except for staircase in front range.
This is of mid C19 character up to first floor, with ornate
cast-iron balusters and continuous wooden handrail. Above that
it has pulvinated wooden strings probably dating from the 1692
house; thin, square balusters of C19. According to J R L
Thorp: 'The room over the kitchen .... has a moulded plaster
cornice and good bolection chimneypiece .... A rear block
behind the left end of the house contains some particularly
good joinery and plaster detail'. The building now occupies a
site originally laid out by the Feoffees of the Long Bridge
(now the Bideford Bridge Trust) and first leased in 1692 to
Thomas Hammet, merchant.
(Thorp JRL: Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer
Conference at Bideford: 1987-: BRIDGE TRUST DOC).
Listing NGR: SS4541426827
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings