This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0197 / 51°1'10"N
Longitude: -4.2055 / 4°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 245405
OS Northings: 126794
OS Grid: SS454267
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4FG
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.3DZ
Entry Name: 27, Bridgeland Street
Listing Date: 8 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375755
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET
842-1/5/43 (South side)
House, now offices. Probably early 1690s, heightened by a
storey, enlarged and generally refurbished in late C18;
rendered and with further alterations in early C19. Solid
rendered walls. Slate roof with late C19 crested red
ridge-tiles. Old red-brick chimney on each gable-end.
Plan preserves the 1690s lay-out common to several of the
houses in Bridgeland Street: 2-room front range with central
through-passage; long rear wing to left containing staircase
with former kitchen behind. C18/C19 additions include a right
rear wing (different in height to left wing) and a short
extension to through-passage.
3 storeys; 5-window range. Horizontally-chanelled ground
storey. Round-arched centre doorway with attached Doric
columns and entablature with modillioned cornice; door with 4
moulded panels above and 4 flush panels in the form of a St
Andrews Cross below; similar panelled reveals; cobweb
fanlight. At either side a canted bay window with fluted
half-columns between the lights and entablature with
modillioned cornice. Upper storeys have raised cement quoins;
window-heads with raised cement voussoirs. Windows in all 3
storeys have 6-paned sashes, except that in third storey the
upper sashes are 3-paned and the middle window has a 2-light
wood casement, each light of 3 panes. Dentilled eaves cornice
with small blocking-course.
INTERIOR: late C18 wooden open-well staircase with slender
turned balusters with square necking-pieces; shaped step-ends;
handrail ramped up over column-newels. Several rooms have
boxed or moulded cornices, the right rear first-floor room
with in addition a fluted frieze; also late C18/early C19 wood
and marble chimneypieces and 6-panelled doors. Rear wall has
small-paned sashes and wood casements, including a tall
round-arched window over door to through-passage. This house
was built for Thomas Morcombe of Bideford, Mariner, on a 1692
lease from the Feoffees of Bideford Bridge.
(Bideford Bridge Trust Surveys: A1/17-18).
Listing NGR: SS4540526794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings