History in Structure

Kepier Grammar School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Houghton-le-Spring, Sunderland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.8426 / 54°50'33"N

Longitude: -1.4682 / 1°28'5"W

OS Eastings: 434247

OS Northings: 549886

OS Grid: NZ342498

Mapcode National: GBR LD5F.XV

Mapcode Global: WHD5J.FJ2X

Plus Code: 9C6WRGVJ+3P

Entry Name: Kepier Grammar School

Listing Date: 26 April 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025443

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303177

ID on this website: 101025443

Location: Houghton-le-Spring, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, DH4

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Houghton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Houghton-le-Spring

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Houghton-le-Spring

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Tagged with: School building

Find accommodation in
Houghton le Spring


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 1 June 2023 to reformat the text to current standards.


CHURCH STREET (north side)
Houghton-le-Spring, Kepier Grammar School


Grammar School, now parish rooms and two flats.C18 incorporating C16 building. Limestone and sandstone rubble with some quoins; roof concrete tiles. L-shaped. Two storeys, eleven bays and three bays set back in right return.

West elevation: two sashes with glazing bars; then five bays having central projecting gable to street flanked by modern sashes at ground floor and casements at first to the left, one modern sash and one horizontal sliding sash under casements at right. Gable to street contains four-panelled double door under oblong fanlight in architrave beneath inscription (commemorating founding in 1574) dated 1724, inserted cusped lancet window, with head-stopped drip mould, and two blocked-in square lights, in right return. Quoins to these five bays. Then three bays with a five-panelled door in flat Tuscan doorcase at left and sash windows; and gable to street having one sash and inscription recording repairs and additions in 1779. Roof has two end brick chimneys and three transverse ridge brick chimneys.

Historical note: founded by Bernard Gilpin, rector of Houghton and John Heath of Kepyer.

Listing NGR: NZ3424949878

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.