This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0142 / 51°0'51"N
Longitude: -0.0539 / 0°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 536608
OS Northings: 125673
OS Grid: TQ366256
Mapcode National: GBR KN7.C69
Mapcode Global: FRA B6SF.LT8
Entry Name: East Mascalls
Listing Date: 28 October 1957
Last Amended: 25 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302691
Location: Lindfield Rural, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Lindfield Rural
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lindfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/02/2012
EAST MASCALLS LANE
(Formerly listed as:
EAST MASCALLS ROAD
A timber-framed house with plaster infilling, the first floor having panels of ornamental timbering, built in 1578 and restored and enlarged in the C19.
The original portion is of two storeys and five bays. The projecting porch has a moulded lintel above the arch, oversailing sides on a bressumer and two diamond panels with cartouches featuring the initials of the builder, NN with the date 1578 and the restorer, WS with the date 1896. Above is an original window with wooden mullions and transoms. The overhanging gable has carved bargeboards and pendant and a tiny attic window. The other windows are modern casements. The west front has two gables, restored and tile-hung in 1896. The west wing was rebuilt to the north, in a sympathetic style, in 1937. All is under a Horsham slab roof.
The interior was not inspected.
The original stone house on this site was built for the Mascalls family in the C15. This property passed to Ursula Middleton in 1550 who sold it to William Newton of Southover Priory, Lewes, formerly from Cheshire, whose son, Nicholas re-built an E shaped timber framed property in 1578. The property passed by inheritance into the Noyes' family in 1741 but was a ruin by 1870. It was restored by William Sturdy in 1896. The modern oak framed west wing was added to the north elevation in imitation of the original in 1937 by the then owner AR McNaught.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
East Mascalls is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reason:
* Architectural Interest: A good example of a C16 house, with high levels of survival of original fabric.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings