History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dining Hall and Water Tower to North, School to South, Collannaded Wings to East and West (Chapel in West Wing) Forming a Quadrangle, and 8 H Shaped Blocks (4 on Each Side of Dining Hall) at Christ's

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southwater, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0431 / 51°2'35"N

Longitude: -0.3636 / 0°21'49"W

OS Eastings: 514812

OS Northings: 128353

OS Grid: TQ148283

Mapcode National: GBR HJS.JW4

Mapcode Global: FRA B64C.654

Entry Name: Dining Hall and Water Tower to North, School to South, Collannaded Wings to East and West (Chapel in West Wing) Forming a Quadrangle, and 8 H Shaped Blocks (4 on Each Side of Dining Hall) at Christ's

Listing Date: 22 September 1959

Last Amended: 28 November 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1027034

English Heritage Legacy ID: 299265

Location: Southwater, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham

Civil Parish: Southwater

Built-Up Area: Christ's Hospital

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Southwater Holy Innocents

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

Dining Hall and Water Tower
to north, School to south,
colonnaded wings to east
and west (chapel in west
wing) forming a quadrangle,
and 8 H-shaped blocks
(4 on each side of
Dining Hall) at Christ's
(formerly listed as
Christ's Hospital School)
TQ 12 NW 11/333
TQ 12 NE 12/333 22.9.59.


The School was moved from London to this site at Stammerham in 1902. Architect
Sir Aston Webb. Red brick. Tudor style. The main buildings consist of 8
blocks on the north arranged in a slight convex curve, and a quadrangle in
the centre, the north side of which is in line with and in the centre of these
8 blocks. Each block is H-shaped and contains 2 boarding-houses. Each block
has 3 storeys and 10 windows to south front and 3 windows to inner sides of
wings. Gables to the projecting wings of each block and in the centre of
all 3 sides of the courtyards which they form. Balustraded parapet between
the gables. Stone doorway in the centre of each courtyard with bay window
over. Large 4-light windows on ground floor of south front of wings with
stone pilasters between the lights. The quadrangle consists of the Dining
Hall on the north, the Big School on the south and colonnaded wings on each
side, of which the west one contains the Chapel. The Dining Hall has 5 large
bays rising the whole height of the building, the outer ones being immense
windows of 5-lights each arranged in 7 tiers with stone mullions and transoms.
Four round-headed arches between the bays, each containing one 2-light window
of 3 tiers. Behind the Dining Hall on the north is the tall Water Tower.
The Big School at the south end of the quandrangle has 9 bays containing Perpendicular
style windows, a gable end flanked by octagonal turrets and a square clock
tower over the roof. On each side of the Big School is a square block joined
to it by a wide rusticated arch with balustrade over. On the back or south
side of the Big School, Wren's portico from the old school in Newgate Street,
London was re-erected as part of the building.
The east and west sides of the quadrangle have 2 storeys and 14 windows each.
They have projections at each end which are joined to each other by a projecting
colonnade with balustrade over. Gables above the end projections and in the
centre of each side, with a statue beneath each gable. The Chapel contains
panels by Sir Frank Brangwin.
These side buildings are joined to the Dining Hall on the north by colonnades
with archways in the centre surmounted by gables. These archways came from
the old school in Newgate Street, London and were re-erected here in 1902
(as were the iron gates and stone pillars giving entrance to the school grounds
from Horsham Road). They were designed by John Shaw in 1836, One of them
has an inscription over it.

Listing NGR: TQ1481228353

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.