This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8997 / 50°53'58"N
Longitude: -0.3589 / 0°21'32"W
OS Eastings: 515499
OS Northings: 112416
OS Grid: TQ154124
Mapcode National: GBR HLK.D2X
Mapcode Global: FRA B64Q.G12
Entry Name: Wiston House
Listing Date: 9 May 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 299045
Location: Wiston, Horsham, West Sussex, BN44
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Wiston
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Wiston with Buncton
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
WISTON WISTON PARK
TQ 11 SE 13/339
Now also known as Wilton Park European Discussion Centre. Original building
was a very large mansion of irregular plan built about 1576 by Sir Thomas Shirley
the elder, the father of the 3 brothers who are famous for their travels and ...
adventures in Persia and the east. Much of this house was demolished between
1780 and 1830, and the only portion now remaining is on the entrance front
facing east. This is E-shaped. Ashlar. Two storeys. The centre portion
has 5 windows and a 2 storey porch in middle. The ground floor of this is
flanked by twin Doric pilasters and has a triglyph frieze above and a round-heade
arch. The storey above the doorway is flanked by twin Ionic pilasters and
has a window of 2 tiers of 5 lights. It is surmounted by a cornice and pediment
with a female figure at the apex of the Pediment. On each side of the porch
are 2 tall windows of 4 tiers of lights, the outer ones being bays containing
8 lights in each tier, the inner ones being flush windows of 6 lights in each
tier. Cornice above ground floor. The first floor has 4 windows of 2 tiers
of 4 lights each, one being blocked, with cornices over them. Cornice and
parapet over the whole of the centre portion, flanked by large voluted consoles.
The projecting wings have a slightly lower elevation than the centre, though
also of 2 storeys. Each has 3 windows facing inwards of 2 tiers of 5 lights
each with cornices over. Cornice and parapet over the inner sides of the wings.
Their ends have one bay window each on both floors containing 2 tiers of 8
lights each with cornice over and above this a shaped gabled with finials
flanking these and at the apex of each. All the windows have stone mullions
and transoms and diamond-shaped or small square leaded panes. James Gibbs
caried out some work in the house but nothing of this survives (with the possible
exception of som of the plaster work in the Great Hall). The house was rebuilt
and greatly enlarged by Edward Blore at the beginning of the C19 and the south,
west and north fronts date from this period. The house is now the shape of
3 Ls. The south or garden front has 2 storeys and attic, 8 windows, 5 projecting
bays, 3 shaped gables and 2 dormers of shaped gable pattern between the main
gables. Conservatory dating from the early Cl9 at the end of this wing. The
west fron has 2 storeys, 6 windows and 4 bays. Pierced parapet over with finials
aboe the bays and a shaped gable to one. On the north wall of the west wing
is a chimney-piece from the part of the C16 house that was demolished. This
has an elaborate carved overmantel comprising 6 small figures in compartments
with a cartouche in the centre, frieze, panel and finial over. The interior
of the house dates mostly from Blore's rebuilding but the dining-room has
panelling dated 1576. Photographs in the National Building Record. Article
in Country Life Vol 25, page 306.
Listing NGR: TQ1549912416
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings