This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0022 / 51°0'7"N
Longitude: 0.011 / 0°0'39"E
OS Eastings: 541198
OS Northings: 124453
OS Grid: TQ411244
Mapcode National: GBR KNJ.3L3
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XG.G44
Entry Name: Sheffield Park Farm Yard
Listing Date: 5 June 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297119
Location: Fletching, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Fletching
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Fletching St Andrew and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 42 SW
25/955 Sheffield Park Farm Yard
Model farm layout. Dated 1808 with iron griffin at central block, the emblem of
Lord Sheffield. Style reminiscent of Samuel Wyatt. Comprizes 3 sides of a court-
yard built in red brick, with some Sussex bond and some Flemish bond with grey
headers. Tiled roof. Central block comprised barn with granary above. Tall 3
bay structure with blank arches with stone impost blocks divided by double
pilasters with similar plain stone cornice. Tiled roof, 3 round-headed doorcases
and hoist to left-hand side. Ends have circular blank and 2 Diocletian windows.
To the right is the former ox engine house, of lower elevation of 2 bays, with
cambered aches with impost blocks. Leading on from this is the right-hand wing of
similar height with 7 doors, 5 with cambered arches and 5 semicircular openings.
This wing originally comprized rooms for fodder, lodges for 10 fatting oxen,
stable for horses or working oxen a stall for a bull and the wing terminated in a
waggon lodge. Similar arrangement to left of barn/granary with adjoining 2 bay
structure with 2 cambered arches, formerly lodges for 10 fatting oxen and left
side wing which has 9 semicircular arches including 2 doors 1 blocked. At time of
survey most of the roof of this block was missing. This wing formerly comprized
fodder room, store room for grain for fatting hogs, lodges for 20 fatting oxen,
lodges for 10 cows, calf pen and terminated in a slaughterhouse with adjoining
steaming house and cistern for hogmash, to the rear of this wing was a series of
pigsties and kennels for Spaniels and Pointers. The interior throughout has
scientific king posts which is an early use of this form in farm buildings. The
barn/granary has some reused domestic timbers. Good C19 cast iron and wood stall
partitions. (See Rev A Young "Review of the Agriculture of Sussex 1813" M Hole
"The Model Farm at Sheffield Park "Panehill Historical Parish Magazine" Vol 3 No 1
Listing NGR: TQ4119824453
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings