This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9993 / 50°59'57"N
Longitude: 0.0131 / 0°0'47"E
OS Eastings: 541355
OS Northings: 124138
OS Grid: TQ413241
Mapcode National: GBR KNJ.B3R
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XG.NYJ
Entry Name: Sheffield Park House
Listing Date: 26 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028395
English Heritage Legacy ID: 296022
Location: Fletching, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Fletching
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Fletching St Andrew and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
FLETCHING SHEFFIELD PARK
Sheffield Park House
TQ 42 SW 25/784 26.11.53
The house contains a few rooms with early C18 panelling. But the main
portion dates from about 1779 and was built by the first Lord Sheffield.
Architect James Wyatt. The house was Wyatt's earliest Gothic house but
the entrance front is a symmetrical classical conception. Two storeys.
Seven windows. Ashlar. Cornice and battlemented parapet. The outer window
bays are flanked by pilasters, between which the cornice is carried up
to form a pointed arch with a stepped gable above containing an attic window
and surmounted by 3 pinnacled finials. Sash windows with dripstones over
and glazing bars intact. Central porch added in 1912. Service wing added
to the west in 1912.
The east front has a large pointed Gothic window, of which part only could
originally be seen internally.
Of the interior, the hall and staircase are Gothic, the remainder classical.
The Prince's room upstairs is decorated with paintings of animals by
Charles Cotton the elder, RA.
Listing NGR: TQ4135524138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings