This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1535 / 51°9'12"N
Longitude: -0.3473 / 0°20'50"W
OS Eastings: 515680
OS Northings: 140655
OS Grid: TQ156406
Mapcode National: GBR HHG.P05
Mapcode Global: VHFW4.X8RL
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290318
Location: Ockley, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Ockley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ockley, Okewood and Forest Green
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
OCKLEY C.P. COLES LANE
8/203 Church of
11/11/66 St. Margaret
Church. C12 with C14 nave, C15 porch and tower rebuilt in 1699. Restored and
enlarged in 1873 with new aisle and larger chancel. Galleted Bargate and sand-
stone, some coursed in tower, the majority rubble. Horsham slab roofs with
ridge cresting. Nave and chancel (to east) porch to south with tower to west
and aisle and vestry to north. Two stage tower with angle buttresses to west
end. Lower stage. String courses over ground and first stages, battlemented
parapet above. Perpendicular style fenestration of paired, single-light round-
head lancets on lower stage, louvred on upper stage to south and west faces.
Additional slit lancet to upper stage north face. South side:- Two C19 Decorated.
style windows and one C16 two-light, flat head window. Alternating offset
buttresses on south side of chancel with two re-cut Decorated style windows.
Diagonal buttresses to east end. Three-light C19 window to east with moulded
surround. Shouldered head, foiled lancet fenestration on vestry with offset ridge
stack to end. Two Decorated style C19 windows on north side, alternating with
buttresses; larger 3-light and roundel window on west end of north aisle.
Restored, gabled,timber framed porch to south on brick plinth with herringbone
brick infill to lower courses and turned baluster rails above. Braced arched
entrance and braced crown-post roof.
Interior:- Stone flagged tower floor with pointed, one step arches on moulded
caps to pier supports. C14 wall plates in nave but with later, tall thin crown-
post roof above, central collar moulding to crown posts , which rest on square-
plinths and are braced both ways. Two bay nave, 3-bay chancel, those in chancel
copies. Octagonal pier arcade to north aisle with moulded caps, chamfered 2-
step moulded arches with human head corbels to hood mouldings.
Fittings:- C19 majority. Octagonal stone font on centre stem. Organ by Holcroft.
Reredos by Messrs Pavell from a design by Harry Burrow. The bells are reputedly
the oldest hanging peal by Richard Phelps of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.395.
V.C.H. SURREY VOL. III
Listing NGR: TQ1568040655
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings