This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2116 / 51°12'41"N
Longitude: -0.5501 / 0°33'0"W
OS Eastings: 501370
OS Northings: 146818
OS Grid: TQ013468
Mapcode National: GBR FCR.ZPR
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.FT02
Entry Name: Bradstone Brook
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Last Amended: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288413
Location: Shalford, Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Civil Parish: Shalford
Built-Up Area: Chilworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shalford
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04 NW SHALFORD CP KINGS ROAD
4/154 Bradstone Brook
14.6.67 (formerly listed under
House, now offices. 1791 for Thomas Gibson, a London merchant, extended
to left in 1860s, to rear in 1870, music and billiard room built on to
rear in 1920s when coach house and clocktower (formerly separate) were
incorporated into the house. Red and brown brick with hipped plain tiled
roof. Original house to south east corner of three bays by five bays
with centre bay to right hand return front projecting with angled sides.
Entrance front: two storeys over basement with attic under three C20 flat
roofed dormers. Wooden cornice and parapet above, stone coped and partly
obscuring roof. Three bays with C20 glazing bar sash windows under gauged
brick heads. Two glazing bar sash windows in arched recess panels to
ground floor. Central mid C18 door and case brought from another house.
Panelled door up seven steps with curved ends to wrought iron hand rail.
Ionic half-column surround with open pediment above, panelled reveal with
keystoned arch over traceried fanlight. 1860's extensions to left of
five bays, two storeys high. Glazing bar sash windows under Coade stone
triangular pediments on brackets to first floor, brick dentil course over
ground floor. Angle bay to right.
Right hand return front: C18 five bay range with central two storey angle
bay, C19 angle bay to right end. Glazing bar sash fenestration with
casement doors to centre of angle bays on ground floor approached by
small flights to steps.
Rear: angle bay to left with stone door surround to left of centre in
recessed centre bays. C20 misic room projecting to front right with
wrought iron first floor balcony. Coach house canted at an angle to
right end. Red brick walls connect coach house, enclosing service yard,
to square clock turret on north west corner. Clock built by Henry Triggs
Interior: stone fireplace surround, most interiors restored in 1920s in
"Georgian" style. Detached Doric columns to hall. Mid C18 staircase
with barley sugar balisters.
Undergoing conversion and restoration at time of resurvey.
Listing NGR: TQ0136446824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings