This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2088 / 51°12'31"N
Longitude: -0.5406 / 0°32'26"W
OS Eastings: 502044
OS Northings: 146525
OS Grid: TQ020465
Mapcode National: GBR GF9.256
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.LW25
Entry Name: South Barn, North Barn and Attached Stabling and Former Farm Building at Great Tangley Manor Farm
Listing Date: 24 July 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495417
Location: Wonersh, Waverley, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Wonersh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Wonersh with Blackheath
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
1801/0/10046 TANGLEY LANE
24-JUL-06 Wonersh Common
South barn, north barn and attached st
abling and former farm building at Gre
at Tangley Manor Farm
Two former threshing barns, one adapted to a dairy and the other partially adapted into an estate office together with a former farm building and some stabling. North barn is mid to late C16, south barn late C16 with early C19 stabling and C19 farm building. It forms a roughly L-shaped group.
The south barn is a timberframed barn of five bays with rendered infill on brick and stone plinth and tiled roof. The north side has only two bays visible because of the attached north barn and farm building. These show a midrail and almost straight tension braces, the central lower cart doors and a C20 triple casement window with leaded lights. The east end has a gable, stone plinth, almost diagonal tension braces, queenpost and four inserted C20 casement windows. The west elevation has a central late C19 gabled cart entrance with tall double doors and a triple casement window in the gable. The roof has four diaper patterned areas of roof tiles replaced by glazing and roof sweeping down over the later outshot which has two C20 casement windows to the eastern two bays and a splayed corner with C20 door. The west side has early C19 two storey stabling attached, brick in Flemish bond to the ground floor and timberframed with rendered infill to the upper floor which has been previously weatherboarded. There are C20 plank stable doors, first floor hayloft doors and a leaded light window to the north. Attached to the north east is a C19 former farm building, weatherboarded on an English bond brick plinth with renewed tiled roof and fixed sash window facing east.
The north barn is a timberframed barn of four bays with rendered infill on a brick plinth and tiled roof with a number of diaper patterned areas of roof tiles replaced by glazing. The east side has two southern bays with pronounced curved tension braces above the midrail and four early C20 metal windows inserted when the barn was converted into a dairy. The penultimate bay to the north has late C19 full height cart doors and the northern bay has a higher midrail, a less curved tension brace and a further early C20 casement window. The north front has an C18 frame with diagonal braces and a sandstone and brick plinth. There are three early C20 metal-framed casements. The west side northern bay has a curved and a diagonal tension brace but the remainder of this side is obscured by an early C19 one storey brick stable with tiled roof and a late C19 five bay concrete implement shed.
The south barn has a box-framed wall frame with rendered infill with midrail and almost diagonal tension braces. There are jowled upright posts. The roof structure has alternate queenposts and angled queen struts, purlins and pegged rafters. The eastern two bays retain a visible queenpost and angled queen strut although the remainder of the frame is not visible internally.
The north barn has jowled upright posts with curved tension braces and alternate queenposts and angled tension braces to the roof structure. Part of the purlin is visible but otherwise the roof structure and wall frame are not visible internally and the lower part of the wall was tiled when the barn was converted into a dairy.
The north barn, south barn, stabling and the attached farm building to the east are all shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. In the mid C19 and until 1905 one of the barns was used to provide accommodation for the local Congregational Church, the services having originally taken place in the kitchen of Great Tangley Manor.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE:
An L-shaped range, the north barn a mid to late C16 timberframed former threshing barn of four bays and the south barn a late C16 timberframed former threshing barn of five bays, both of which retain a substantial proportion of their original fabric. The range also includes attached early C19 stabling and a C19 former farm building. These buildings were originally part of the home farm of Great Tangley Manor (grade I) and there is additional historic interest for local Nonconformity as one of the barns was used from the mid C19 until 1905 to provide Congregational Church services, replacing the kitchen of Great Tangley Manor.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings