This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2232 / 51°13'23"N
Longitude: -0.7169 / 0°43'0"W
OS Eastings: 489696
OS Northings: 147894
OS Grid: SU896478
Mapcode National: GBR DB6.CJR
Mapcode Global: VHDY3.JJB4
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288166
Location: Seale and Sands, Guildford, Surrey, GU10
Civil Parish: Seale and Sands
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Seale, Puttenham and Wanborough
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 84NE SEALE AND SANDS C.P. MANOR FIELDS
7/102 Church of St.Laurence
Church. Rebuilt in 1861 - 1873 by J Croft, incorporating some older fragments including
C15 South porch. Coursed clunch and green sandstone with ashlar dressings to
Nave and Chancel, Bargate stone to tower, plain tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with
central crossing tower under tiled pyramidal spire, gabled porch to south. Central
tower with triangular dormers, rendered eave corbels, angle piers and stair turret
to south east corner under cap roof. Clock face on all sides of tower. Steep gables
to transepts with diagonal buttresses to base. Mixed fenestration, mostly two light
windows in Perpendicular style, all with plate tracery, some under label mouldings,
three lancet windows to north. Timber framed porch to south on stone dado walls
with open arched lights above; crown - post roof and cusped bargeboards to gable.
Planked south door with strapwork hinges.
Interior : three bay nave and north aisle with square crossing, square pier arcade
with chamfered angles; hood moulding to arches with foliage stops. Cusped roof trusses
to nave, C19 crown-post roof over north aisle. Dog-tooth moulding to chancel arch
and crossing arches. C19 stained glass.
Fittings : Wooden eagle lecturn. Panelled pulpit with turned baluster railing.
Square stone font with chamfered corners,on square stand with detached angle pillars.
Monuments: Mainly wall tablets. North Aisle wall : Dedicated to Anne Woodroffe.
Died 1762. By J Nutcher of Swaything. Black marble panel with apron below, in
carved white stone ground. Flanking Corinthian pilasters on scrolled bases and
foliage festoons supporting segmental, keystoned, pediment with cornucopia and
flowers. North Transept East Wall : To Edward Noel long, by Bedford. Died 1809.
Stone tablet with relief recording shipping accident in which he died. Altar
painting of Madonna and child attributed to Cima.
Listing NGR: SU8969647894
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings