This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2491 / 51°14'56"N
Longitude: -0.7155 / 0°42'55"W
OS Eastings: 489747
OS Northings: 150778
OS Grid: SU897507
Mapcode National: GBR D9T.RWN
Mapcode Global: VHDXX.KV3S
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288062
Location: Ash, Guildford, Surrey, GU12
Civil Parish: Ash
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ash
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 85 SE ASH C.P. ASH CHURCH ROAD
3/1 Church of St Peter
Church. C12 south door and walls,some C13 remains in Chancel, C15 tower,
C16 south porch; all restored in 1865 when the north aisle and north chancel
chapel were added. Roughly coursed flint and sandstone rubble nave with
ashlar quoin dressings, coursed heath-stone tower and north walls. Plain
tiled roofs,renewed to north, with wooden shingle broach spire. Nave with north
aisle, chancel to east with north chancel chapel and vestry, porch to south and
square tower to south west corner. Short tower with orbelled eaves, small two-
light, louvred openings to top of each face, irregular, small, openings on
remaining faces. Larger plate tracery window to south. Three-light. cusped
tracery windows to buttressed north aisle, large C19 windows to east end. One
C13 lancet window survives in south chancel wall. Arched double doors to west
end of north aisle, single door at junction of tower to west end. South door
circa 1170, in arched stone surround with one order of jamb shafts and outer
fillet roll moulding. Timber framed, gabled, porch to south with cusped barge-
board and brick infilling.
Interior: Tiled floor, four bay, round pier, arcade to north aisle; crown-post
roof to aisle. C14 chalk chancel arch on restored half-octagonal responds.
Two bay, round pier, arcade between chancel and north chapel with foliage
capitals. C13 Piscina on south chancel wall. Wavy edge decoration to south
door and tower arch.
Fittings: Marble and mosiac reredos in new chapel. C20 screens. C19 stone
pulpit. Octagonal C17 wooden font with lead lined bowl on centre stem with
8 detached columns.
Monuments: East wall of old chancel: Monument to Reverend John Harris.
Died 1759. White stone on grey stone ground, black stone inscription panel.
Flanking scrolls over eared apron below on gadrooned base. Skll, serpent and
glass carvings in apron, floral garlands and cartouche over keystoned arch to
top. North arcade of Chancel: Monument to Judith Harris. Died 1765.
Triangular white pyramid with grey roundel, cherubs head above apron with
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) page 97.
Listing NGR: SU8974750778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings