This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.365 / 51°21'54"N
Longitude: -0.6648 / 0°39'53"W
OS Eastings: 493049
OS Northings: 163731
OS Grid: SU930637
Mapcode National: GBR F9W.6RZ
Mapcode Global: VHFTT.FYDF
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 19 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287217
Location: Windlesham, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU20
District: Surrey Heath
Civil Parish: Windlesham
Built-Up Area: Broomhall/Windlesham/Virginia Water
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Windlesham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 96SW WINDLESHAM C.P. CHURCH ROAD, WINDLESHAM
4/147 Church of St John the
Church. Rebuilt using old materials after a fire in 1680 on south side, tower
of 1838 by Robert Ebbels, chancel,nave and north aisle of 1874 by Ewan Christian.
South wall and porch of C17 brown brick; tower red and blue brick with stone
quoins to south side on stone plinth, red and blue brick in diaper pattern and
banding courses to nave, chancel and north aisle; plain tiled roofs with ridge
cresting. Aisled nave with tower to west and porch on south. Chancel to east
with chapel to south and vestry to north. Tower square with diagonal offset
buttresses; 3 stages with battlemented parapet. Stone surrounds to louvred
arched openings in top stage with clock below in apron panel to west face. Two
light trefoil head windows to first stage, one on south face blocked. Two
reused stone C15 & C16 windows to south aisle, one 2-light window in Decorated
style, one 3-light window in Perpendicular style. Remainder of windows late C19.
Ribbed and studded door in moulded wood frame under gauged brick head in south
porch. Arched double doors to west.
Interior:- 3 bay nave arcades on round stone piers with lighter coloured stone
plinths and moulded capitals; Stone human head stops to billeted hood mouldings
of arches. Brick chancel arch with dogtooth decorative band to arch. Double
arch opening to south chancel wall with billeted hood moulding. Early C20 marble
and alabaster mosaic reredos. C19 fittings. C17 pulpit. Late C19 octagonal
stone font with panelled sides on centre stem and angle columns.
Monuments:- Eastawall of south chapel - Monument to Sage and Robert Herrington
Died 1733 and 1757. Aedicular. Coloured stone panel in flanking pilasters under
swans neck pediment and shell crest; cartouche in apron below.
East wall of south chapel:- Oval wall plate to Thomas Tilbury. Died 1716.
Grey stone ground, lighter inscription panel on ribbon festoon.
PEVSNER:- Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 527-8
Listing NGR: SU9304963731
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings