This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0867 / 52°5'12"N
Longitude: 1.2355 / 1°14'7"E
OS Eastings: 621765
OS Northings: 248088
OS Grid: TM217480
Mapcode National: GBR VNY.169
Mapcode Global: VHLBN.CTJ6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 16 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 285970
Location: Playford, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP6
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Playford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Playford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 24 NW
Church of St. Mary
Church. Mainly c.1400; the chancel was rebuilt 1874. Nave, chancel, south
west tower/porch, north organ chamber. Flint rubble, with some random
limestone rubble, and in the tower some brick of various colours. Plaintiled
roofs with parapet gables. Apart from the earlier C14 plain blocked north
doorway, all medieval features are of late C14 and early C15. Fine late C14
tower, placed against the south nave doorway, serving also as the south porch.
The moulded outer doorway has repeated crown motifs at the jambs, an angel
keystone and a square label supported by lions; in the spandrels are the arms
of Sir George Felbrigge (died 1400). Above the doorway is an image niche with
pinnacled canopy. The 2-light ringing chamber window has a gabled and
traceried head. On the south face is a pair of belfry openings, one on either
side of a floreated cross outlined in flushwork. The diagonal buttresses are
also flushwork-panelled. Large 3-light C15 south nave window, and similar
smaller windows in north and west walls. The inner south doorway and chancel
arch are both moulded and of c.1400. The chancel was rebuilt and the organ
chamber, added in 1874 for the Marquis of Bristol, in the Early English style.
In 1887 the nave was given a scissor-braced coupled-rafter roof to match that
in the chancel. Octagonal limestone font in the C14 manner; part of the stem
is original and well moulded, but the rest was renewed C19. Now affixed to
the north chancel wall is a fine brass of Sir George Felbrigge (died 1400) in
full armour. Above it is a wall tablet to Sir Anthony Felton (d.1657) and his
wife. In the chancel floor are 4 marble ledger slabs of C18 and early C19, to
members of the Felton family.
Listing NGR: TM2176548088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings