History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable and Coach House Block, 30 Metres South West of Playford Hall, with Attached Wall Extending 40 Metres Southwards

A Grade II Listed Building in Playford, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0826 / 52°4'57"N

Longitude: 1.2288 / 1°13'43"E

OS Eastings: 621323

OS Northings: 247610

OS Grid: TM213476

Mapcode National: GBR VNX.KGB

Mapcode Global: VHLBN.7XZC

Plus Code: 9F4336MH+2G

Entry Name: Stable and Coach House Block, 30 Metres South West of Playford Hall, with Attached Wall Extending 40 Metres Southwards

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377296

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285969

Location: Playford, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Playford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Playford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in



4/7 Stable and coach-house
16.3.6 block, 30 metres south
west of Playford Hall,
with attached wall
extending 40 metres

- II

Stable and coach-house block; late C16 with C19 remodelling. To the left is a
coach-house rising through 2 storeys, to right is garaging with staff
accommodation above; to rear is a wing with further accommodation, to which
lean-to stabling was added c.1800. Red brick, the original work in English
bond; at the south end is a crow-stepped parapet gable, and at the north and
west ends similar gables rebuilt C19 with moulded terracotta copings.
Plaintiled roofs with C19 chimneys of red brick. Mainly C19 sash windows with
segmental arched heads. At the south gable are altered original mullioned
windows, plastered to simulate stone dressings. Various C19 boarded doors.
The rear wing has C19 mullioned and transomed windows matching the C16 work.
C16 wind braced clasped-purlin roof. In the lean-to stable to rear is a
section of wall-plate richly carved with a trailing-leaf design of c.1600,
probably taken from the demolished hall range of Playford Hall. A late C16
length of brick garden wall extends southwards from the S.E. corner,
interrupted by a gateway and repaired in C18.

Listing NGR: TM2132347610

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.