This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2223 / 52°13'20"N
Longitude: 1.2729 / 1°16'22"E
OS Eastings: 623646
OS Northings: 263284
OS Grid: TM236632
Mapcode National: GBR VM7.QN3
Mapcode Global: VHLB3.0DTQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 285813
Location: Earl Soham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Earl Soham
Built-Up Area: Earl Soham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Earl Soham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 26 SW EARL SOHAM CHURCH LANE
8/41 Church of St.
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1891. Nave, chancel, west
tower, south porch. Random flint and stone rubble, knapped flint
tower, plastered nave; lead roof to nave, plaintiles to chancel.
Good late C15 tower with 4-stage diagonal buttresses, the 2
western buttresses with original inscriptions; crenellated
parapet; flushwork to plinth, buttresses and parapet; fine west
doorway with 2 orders of carving to the arch, hoodmould with
carved spandrels and original door; 3-light west window with
trefoil-headed, ogee-canopied empty niches to either side and
empty canopied niche above; 2-light bell chamber openings. Late
C15 nave of 3 bays with mostly original windows; late C15 porch
with rough flushwork chequering and an original figure at the
apex of the gable; good south nave doorway with fleurons to the
jambs, arch and hoodmould, carved spandrels and original door.
Early C14 chancel of 2 bays with 2-light Y tracery windows;
Priest's doorway to south; C19 east end with 3-light window in
Decorated style. Fine original double hammerbeam nave roof of 6
bays with carved cornice and a figure against each wallpost under
an ogee arch. C15 octagonal font with carved bowl and stem,
original inscription on base; C17 font cover. Set of 26
poppyhead nave benches with traceried ends, installed 1940: some
C15 work but much C20 restoration and renewal; good C17 pulpit
complete with tester; Arms of Charles II in south nave; mid C17
turned alter rails; piscina under moulded ogee arch in sanctuary.
Graded I for surviving medieval work.
Listing NGR: TM2364663284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings