This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2308 / 52°13'50"N
Longitude: 1.4944 / 1°29'39"E
OS Eastings: 638723
OS Northings: 264930
OS Grid: TM387649
Mapcode National: GBR XQ6.0ND
Mapcode Global: VHM7N.V6D7
Entry Name: The Old Guildhall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 27 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 285666
Location: Kelsale cum Carlton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Kelsale cum Carlton
Built-Up Area: Carlton (Suffolk Coastal)
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kelsale St Mary and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/07/2015
TM 36 SE
The Old Guildhall
(Formerly listed as Teacher's Centre, THE STREET, previously listed as Primary School)
Former guildhall. Probably late C15 with C16 wing to rear; considerable later alterations, especially in later C19; the date 1725 on the right hand side refers to the brick casing at this end of the building. Timber framed and plastered, red brick casing to right hand gable; plaintiled roof, pantiles to rear wing. 2 storeys; the facade and left hand gable have a jettied first floor with bracketed corner post. C20 casement windows with square leaded panes, an almost continuous range of 6 to the first floor; 2 C20 boarded doors with cover fillets, one with rectangular fanlight. 3 stacks with late C19 shafts of fluted brickwork with moulded bases and oversailing caps; one of the stacks is set flush with the facade, with the lower portions of 2 former stacks to either side. The main feature of the building is the fine 5-bay crown post roof: cambered and arch-braced tie beams, 4 crown posts of square. section with moulded bases and heads; the remainder of the interior is much altered.
Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, Vol.30, pp.129-148.
Listing NGR: TM3872364930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings