This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2228 / 52°13'21"N
Longitude: 1.4864 / 1°29'11"E
OS Eastings: 638223
OS Northings: 264012
OS Grid: TM382640
Mapcode National: GBR XQ5.QLV
Mapcode Global: VHM7N.QD5C
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Last Amended: 27 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 285638
Location: Kelsale cum Carlton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Kelsale cum Carlton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kelsale St Mary and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 36 SE KELSALE-CUM-CARLTON CARLTON
7/43 CHURCH OF ST PETER
(Previously listed under
II* Carlton Green)
Parish church of Carlton (combined with Kelsale parish in 1884).
Medieval, restored 1872 and 1887. Nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch. Random flint rubble, stone dressings, red brick
tower, plaintiled roofs. Early C16 tower of 4 stages with
crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses to the west; a
chimney has been added at the north east corner, probably in C19;
blocked west doorway with hoodmould over, later 2-light Y tracery
window above; simple one-light bell chamber openings. There is
some diaper work in dark headers to the lower part of the tower.
Nave and chancel with early C14 2-light Y tracery windows: north
side 2 to nave, 2 to chancel (plus Priest's doorway), south side
one to nave, 2 to chancel; renewed 3-light east window in
Decorated style. Simple south porch. Trussed rafter roof to
chancel, nave roof plastered with moulded wall plate. Modern
font; good carved pulpit (dated 1626) and holy table (dated
1630); 3 C15 poppyhead bench ends in nave, chancel stalls also
with poppyhead ends, mostly traceried; some C18 panelling in
nave, probably former box pews; Royal Arms above chancel arch.
The chancel floor has 2 small late C15 effigy brasses to
civilians and a C18 ledger slab. Graded II* for surviving
Listing NGR: TM3822364012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings