This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7048 / 52°42'17"N
Longitude: -2.557 / 2°33'25"W
OS Eastings: 362458
OS Northings: 312051
OS Grid: SJ624120
Mapcode National: GBR BS.2P5Z
Mapcode Global: WH9D1.P8KR
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 18 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 362515
Location: Wrockwardine, Telford and Wrekin, TF6
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Wrockwardine
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Wrockwardine St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
5362 Church of St Peter
SJ 6212 3/658 18.6.59
Mainly late C12 to early C13. Large sandstone church with tiled roofs. Cruciform
plan with nave, chancel, north and south transepts, crossing tower and chapels on
north and south sides of chancel.
Nave has C19 restored Decorated style windows, the west window with reticulated
tracery. Chancel has reticulated traceried 3-light east window and round-headed
lancel in south wall.
North and south transepts have 3-light perpendicular windows and south doorway of
south transept has round arch and thick continuous quarter-round mouldings. The
north doorway of north transept has round arch and one order of shafts though the
shafts are missing the trumpet and waterleaf capitals remain.
North chapel has decorated 3-light east window. Small perpendicular south chapel.
Crossing tower of C12 with C14 upper part. It has large buttresses with set-offs
on south-west and north-west corners and a circular turret on the north-west corner
with ogee cap, battlements and pyramidal tiled roof. Lancets in the tower stage
and Decorated 2-light bell-openings above.
Interior: Massive crossing piers with narrow fluting to the capitals. C19 roofs.
Modern font. Jacobean pulpit. Communion rail with balusters. Stained glass by
O'Connar 1861 and by Kempe 1887 and 1902. Memorial window of 1906 by Mary Newill.
Monument to William Chudde 1765 - large Rococo tablet.
Listing NGR: SJ6246312051
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings