This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3268 / 52°19'36"N
Longitude: 0.8778 / 0°52'40"E
OS Eastings: 596200
OS Northings: 273752
OS Grid: TL962737
Mapcode National: GBR SGX.0RL
Mapcode Global: VHKCV.5SD5
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Last Amended: 27 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284287
Location: Stanton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Stanton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stanton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 97 SE
Church of St. John
(Formerly listed as Remains
of the Church of St. John
Former parish church, now a roofless shell. Nave, chancel, south porch and
west tower. C13 and C14: since repairs in 1980 the walls are standing to
their full height. In flint rubble, with remains of old render: some
admixture of stone and red brick in the south wall of the nave; freestone
dressings and facings to buttresses, and moulded stone string course running
below the nave windows and along the chancel walls. Nave in 3 bays: the south
buttresses have panels of black knapped flint, with a wide angle buttress at
the south-east corner: a diagonal buttress at the north-east corner. On the
south side, 2 3-light windows with intersecting tracery and one Y-window. On
the north, 3 2-light windows, 2 with curvilinear tracery, one with no tracery
remaining. C13 north and south doorways with continuous hollow chamfer
mouldings. C14 porch, formerly gabled: 2 diagonal buttresses with chequerwork
bases in stone and black knapped flint, and a blocked niche above the doorway.
Chancel with a single 2-light window with decorated tracery in north and south
walls, and a similar 2-light east window. A panel on the outside of the east
gable has the dates 1616 and 1858 and initials GB for George Bidwell, Rector
1811-1865. The exterior of the east wall is rendered, and the slope of the
gable finished in crow-stepped red brick: this was apparently part of the 1616
restoration work, which clearly did not involve the complete rebuilding of the
chancel (as stated by Pevsner). The west wall of the tower is built up
against the boundary of the churchyard, and the lowest stage is open to
provide a processional way around the church. 4 stages, with a base of
moulded stone blocks and a repaired embattled parapet with chequerwork
patterns of black knapped flint and part red, part white, brick. Diagonal
buttresses to the west: the west wall of the nave projects to form angle
buttresses. A slightly later stair turret, interrupting the stonework of the
south archway, is set externally into the south-east angle and rises to the
top of the 2nd stage: entered by a small doorway in the west wall of the nave.
High in the west gable is a small square window. For further details on the
history and fittings of this church see David Dymond: The Churches of Stanton,
Suffolk, a History and Guide.
Listing NGR: TL9620073752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings