This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8687 / 50°52'7"N
Longitude: -1.3423 / 1°20'32"W
OS Eastings: 446381
OS Northings: 107891
OS Grid: SU463078
Mapcode National: GBR 88B.HGN
Mapcode Global: FRA 862T.2WH
Entry Name: The Empire Building
Listing Date: 28 October 1997
Last Amended: 19 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468916
Location: Hound, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO31
Civil Parish: Hound
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hound St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 40 NE ROYAL VICTORIA COUNTRY PARK
1009/8/10007 The Empire Building
YMCA social centre. 1939-40, by Kenneth J. Lindy, for the YMCA. Timber-frame, clad in weatherboarding and cedar shingles. Cedar shingle roofs with gabled and hipped ends. Concrete brick stacks.
PLAN: T -shaped on plan with hall in main range, billiard and quiet room in east cross-wing and a stair tower in each of the two angles.
EXTERIOR: Single storey hall and 2-storey cross-wing. The main hall range has aisle with glazed doors and clerestory above, the lean-to roof continued and integrated into a lower roof on the left. Gable end of 2-storey cross-wing on right with stair tower in the angle with tall window, hipped roof and lean-to porch. Two small louvred ventilators on ridge of main roof and stack with set-offs at gable end of lower roof on left [W]. On right [E] side of cross-wing a hipped roof projection with a stack rising up the front. At rear [N] another stair tower in the angle and flat roof outshut to main range. Casement windows with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: The frame is constructed on Canadian principles, without mortice and tenon joints and braced with diagonal planking. Used in the construction and decoration is a great variety of timbers from all over the Empire. The hall's dado, radiators, piers, the brick chimney breast flanks and the stage are lined in various timber planks, some with ebony fillets. The billiard room is similarly treated and the Quiet Room has a dado made of a hundred different timber planks. The timber was donated by 79 members of the Timber Trade Federation. The architect painted a large map of the British Empire showing the source of the timbers used.
SOURCE: Wood [Timber Trade journal] , July and November , 1940.
Listing NGR: SU4626309236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings