This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8331 / 50°49'59"N
Longitude: -3.1749 / 3°10'29"W
OS Eastings: 317354
OS Northings: 104392
OS Grid: ST173043
Mapcode National: GBR LY.WTQ7
Mapcode Global: FRA 467W.WCQ
Entry Name: Palmerhayes Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468974
Location: Luppitt, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Luppitt
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Luppitt St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST1OSE LUPPITT WICK
1592/10/10004 Palmerhayes Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa late C15/early C16; remodelled circa C17 and extended C18; altered and extended C20. Stone rubble. Thatched roof with gabled and hipped ends. Stone rubble axial and gable end stacks.
PLAN: Original house was of 2 or 3-room and through~passage plan with lower end to left [W], open to the roof, heated from an open hearth fire and probably divided by low partitions. An axial stack was inserted at the low end of the hall, backing onto the through-passage, probably before the hall was floored in the C17. The large stone stack at the low end would have been built when the walls were rebuilt in stone in the C17. The house was extended at the high [E] end circa late C17/18 and the wing at the rear of the low end was probably added in the Cl8. In the C20 an outshut was built in the angle on the side of the rear wing and a large porch was built on the front.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window south front. C20 casements; through-passage doorway to left of centre with plank door and large C20 thatched porch. At rear, hipped roof 2-storey wing on right with lean-to outshut on inner side; on first floor right of main range a small 3-light wooden mullion window.
INTERIOR: Inserted stone rubble axial hall stack backing onto through-passage with chamfered timber lintel at high level under deeply chamfered beam; chamfered half-beam at high end of former hall and unchamfered joists. Wall between hall and upper end room removed. Low end room has rebuilt fireplace and replaced joists. Medieval roof survives over low [W] end, with side-pegged jointed cruck open truss over low side passage partition, with cambered collar, diagonally set trenched ridgepiece and trenched purlins, all smoke-blackened, including common rafters; the rear pitch of low end roof has original smoke-blackened wattle matting and thatch. The roof over the high end has later truss with principals crossed at apex.
Listing NGR: ST1735404392
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings