This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8332 / 50°49'59"N
Longitude: -3.1783 / 3°10'41"W
OS Eastings: 317115
OS Northings: 104400
OS Grid: ST171044
Mapcode National: GBR LY.WSQ7
Mapcode Global: FRA 467W.TTX
Entry Name: Rollshayes Farmhouse Including Front Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86612
Location: Luppitt, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Luppitt
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Luppitt St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 10 SE
10/59 Rollshayes Farmhouse including
- front boundary walls
Farmhouse. Dated 1877, probably C16 or C17 origins. Local stone and flint rubble;
stone rubble stacks, one with a limestone ashlar chimneyshaft, the others topped
with C20 brick; thatch roof.
Plan: L-plan farmhouse. The main block faces south-west and is built down a gentle
hillslope. It has a 3-room-and-through-passage plan but there is no physical
evidence that it dates any earlier than 1877. Uphill at the right (south-east end
is a small unheated cellar or woodstore. Next to it is a parlour with an axial
stack backing onto the passage and, at the left (north-west) end, a dining room with
a gable-end stack. The main stair is a straight flight rising from the back of the
passage behind the parlour in a projecting stair turret. A 2-room plan service
block projects at right angles to rear of the left end, the dining room. It
contains first, an unheated dairy and behind that a kitchen with a gable-end stack.
There is probably secondary outshot on the angle of the 2 wings behind the passage.
House is 2 storeys.
Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 4-window front of original casement windows
with rectangular panes of leaded glass. There are more similar windows to rear and
in the rear block; only a couple have been replaced and the dairy and
woodstore/cellar windows have never been glazed. The passage front doorway has a
C20 flat concrete architrave and contains a C20 studded plank door. There is an
original front door to the woodstore/cellar. The roof is half-hipped to right and
gable-ended to left with shaped kneelers and coping. The parlour stack chimneyshaft
is limestone ashlar and is inscribed with the date 1887.
Interior contains much original, that is to say late C19, joinery detail. Despite
the layout which suggests a C16 or C17 farmhouse there is no physical evidence of
any earlier fabric here.
A narrow strip of ground across the front is enclosed by a late C19 low stone rubble
wall. This farmhouse has been surprisingly little altered since it was built.
Listing NGR: ST1711504400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings