This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1468 / 52°8'48"N
Longitude: 0.5711 / 0°34'16"E
OS Eastings: 576017
OS Northings: 252954
OS Grid: TL760529
Mapcode National: GBR PDN.77L
Mapcode Global: VHJH5.V99L
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 19 December 1961
Last Amended: 20 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283093
Location: Denston, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CB8
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Denston
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Denston St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Church of St Nicholas
A random flint church with stone dressings and solid stone buttresses. Built on the site of a C12 church. The West tower is late C14 and the remainder is late C15. In 1475 Sir John Howard and Sir John Broughton obtained letters patent from King Edward IV to found a perpetual chantry. The west tower has diagonal buttresses and a castellated parapet. The nave and chancel, which continue without a break, and the aisles have castellated parapets and panel traceried windows. An octagonal staircase tower on the north side led to the rood loft and aisle roof. The south porch has a fan vault, an external canopied niche above the arch and a castellated holy water stoop in the angle of the south-east buttress. The C15 south door has traceried ornamentation in the upper panels. The interior has been little altered since the C17 and presents an unusually complete picture of a medieval church with stalls for chantry priests and benches for parishoners. The 7-bay chancel and nave has a fine original arch braced cambered tie-beam roof and a cornice carved with lions, hounds, hares and harts. There are C17 shields hearing the arms of the Robinson family superimposed on larger shields of earlier date. The moulded and embattled roof beam and the lower part of the traceried roof screen remains. There are fine choir stalls with traceried fronts and parclose screens dividing them from the chancel aisles. Backing on to the roof screen there are 4 misericords 3 are carved with foliage and 1 is carved with a crane holding a stone. The altar, communion rail and octagonal pulpit are of the C17. The bench ends have carved animals copied from the medieval bestiary, and they also have a skirting, originally used to keep in place the rushes provided for kneeling upon. Brasses include a fine brass of Henry and Margaret Everard (1524), a brass of a lady of the Drury family (1530) and a brass inscription to William Burn (1591[. North of the chancel there is an altar tomb with 2 shrouded cadavers of unknown name. The C15 octagonal font is carved with representations of the 7 sacraments and the crucifixion.
Listing NGR: TL7601752954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings