This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6235 / 51°37'24"N
Longitude: -0.6599 / 0°39'35"W
OS Eastings: 492862
OS Northings: 192477
OS Grid: SU928924
Mapcode National: GBR F6S.1ZK
Mapcode Global: VHFSN.HGZ9
Entry Name: Jevington House
Listing Date: 10 October 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031906
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489799
Location: Penn, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP9
Civil Parish: Penn
Built-Up Area: Beaconsfield
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Penn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
985/0/10020 KNOTTY GREEN
10-OCT-02 Jevington House
House. Dated 1908. C.H. Biddulph-Pinchard FRIBA [1876-1944] for Charles S. Preston. Wychert and brick, rendered, on limestone rubble plinth with clinkered yellow brick quoins. Entrance wing timber-framed with re-used timbers. Plain tile roofs. Red brick chimneys. Arts and Crafts/Domestic Revival style house of 1-and-1-half and 2 storeys in a butterfly or sun-trap plan.
EXTERIOR: Garden elevation to South has butterfly plan with L-plan wings linked by central angled bay. This bay and gable ends have canted bay windows and tile-hung gables overhanging on wooden brackets with ball pendants. Entrance wing to North has timber framing, the north gable overhanging a 1st floor oriel on crude timber braces, and a ground floor with patterned brick infill. Oak door with carved panels in east side. Service wing to north has outshot extension of rendered concrete blocks, and west elevation with 3 half-timbered dormers and service door. West elevation of main house continues to right with set of 3 gables, and single-storey projecting extension of c.1930-40. Right side of this extension formerly open as loggia, with circular piers, continuing into ground floor of main gable return. Black finished wooden casements with plain glazing throughout.
INTERIOR: Reception rooms with re-used oak panelling and doors assembled mostly from former shutters. Living room extends into angled bay, and has full panelling, and large inglenook with side seats and cupboards forming V recesses in either side. Dining room has canted corner doors, dado panelling and pilasters flaking arched fireplace with tile-on-edge voussoirs. Hall has further panelling, oak entrance screen with leaded glazing, and twisted baluster stair with arched screen to upper landing. Upper rooms plain with simple 3-panle doors. Some of the panelling is C17 Dutch oak panelling.
HISTORY: The Witchert House [now Jevington House] was built for Henry Dixon-Davis, solicitor for the Great Central Railway, shortly after the 1906 opening of the branch line that linked Beaconsfield to Haddenham.
Arts and Crafts style house built as a rare example of the use of wychert outside of the Aylesbury Vale.
Other nearby listed buildings