This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3858 / 52°23'8"N
Longitude: 1.4488 / 1°26'55"E
OS Eastings: 634786
OS Northings: 282011
OS Grid: TM347820
Mapcode National: GBR XN6.F3D
Mapcode Global: VHM6W.298F
Entry Name: Abbey Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282075
Location: Rumburgh, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19
Civil Parish: Rumburgh
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Rumburgh with South Elmham All Saints St Michael and All Angels and St Felix
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 38 SW RUMBURGH GENERAL
1/1 Abbey Farmhouse
Moated farmhouse, on the site of the conventual buildings of the Benedictine
Priory associated with the church, dissolved in 1528, of which no trace
remains within the present house. Mid C16. Timber-framed and roughcast;
plaintiled roof. The internal chimney-stack has a plain red brick shaft.
Plain barge-boards to gables. Basic 3-cell internal chimney and cross-entry
form, with a later lobby entrance; 6 bays. 2 storeys and attics 3 windows
to the upper storey and 5 to the ground storey, all of cross form, some early
C20 replacements. Mid C19 enclosed and gabled porch with double doors.
Interior with good, plain timbering exposed. The rooms to each side of the
stack have main beams with chamfer and ogee stops with bar and similar joists,
set flat. On the rear wall of the room to the south of the stack, housings
for a 5-light diamond-mullioned window replaced by a 3-light window with
ovolo-moulded mullions and intermediate wooden bars. Both ground floor
fireplaces have timber lintels. The service area is still divided into 2,
with the floor on a higher level and a half-cellar below, apparently an
original feature. Main posts with long arched braces removed. Side-purlin
roof, much altered, which at one time had dormers. Various lean-to's and
extensions at the rear, modernised.
Listing NGR: TM3478682011
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings