History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Badwell Ash, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2829 / 52°16'58"N

Longitude: 0.9154 / 0°54'55"E

OS Eastings: 598960

OS Northings: 268980

OS Grid: TL989689

Mapcode National: GBR SHB.XZ2

Mapcode Global: VHKD1.TW98

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032210

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281752

Location: Badwell Ash, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Badwell Ash

Built-Up Area: Badwell Ash

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Badwell Ash St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text


4/7 Church of St Mary


Parish church. C14 and C15. Mainly in random kidney flint with freestone
dressings; slates to nave roof, old plaintiles to chancel. Nave, chancel with
a vestry on its north side, south porch, short south aisle, west tower. The
north side of nave has long stepped buttresses; doorway with continuous
multiple moulding to pointed arch; hood-mould above; 3 tall 2-light
Perpendicular windows with cuspings; rendered parapet with mouldings and
gargoyles. South side of nave with 6 windows to clerestorey, 2-light with
cusped heads and hoodmoulds; wall of black knapped flint with an admixture of
small stone blocks and red brick. South aisle with one 3-light and one 2-
light Perpendicular window; parapet with 2 gargoyles. C14 chancel: one window
on north, 2 on south side, all of 2 lights with 4-petalled flower motifs to
tracery; diagonal buttresses to east end; continuous plain arch to priest's
door; 3-light east window with cusped quatrefoils in the tracery. Fine C15
south porch projecting from the west end of the aisle: sides faced in black
knapped flint, front with long narrow trefoil-headed flushwork panels;
flushwork panels to base and to diagonal buttresses, one with the emblems of
the Passion. Spandrels of the doorway with St. George and the Dragon.
Canopied niche above. Flushwork panels and the remains of crockets to the
parapet. A stone bench down each side and an open timber roof with miniature
arched-brace truss. continuous arch to south doorway. C15 tower in 4 stages,
the lowest in black knapped flint with stone blocks, the remainder heavily
repointed. Base of freestone blocks: the much-damaged flushwork panels have
various emblems including the crowned MR. Flushwork panelling to battlemented
parapet and an inscription to John Fincham and his wife. Stone string-
courses. Diagonal buttresses also have flushwork panels. Continuous arch to
west doorway. A 3-light window with cusped intersecting tracery to first
stage, and a 2-light C19 restored window to each face of top stage. Inside,
C14 arcade with octagonal piers between nave and aisle. Nave roof in 7 short
bays with alternating hammerbeams and tie-beams, both resting on wall-posts
with small figures. The hammerbeams have large recumbent angels. The tie-
beam trusses have long arched braces to the collars with all soffits moulded.
2 rows of traingular-section moulded purlins; crenellated cornice. Later
inserted tie-beams are dated 1703 with the churchwardens' names. C14
octagonal font: mutilated shields on the base, flamboyant ogee arches
supported on heads to the bowl, crenellated top. South aisle with a single-
pitch timber roof, arched braces to tie-beams, ties and trimmers moulded.
Cusped angle piscina; simple Jacobean holy table; Jacobean chest. Benches and
other fittings to nave and chancel date from the restoration of 1868. Chancel
roof, in 4 bays, of alternating hammer-beam and arched-brace trusses, the
space between the hammer-posts and rafters infilled with tracery. C14 piscina
on south side, with space for sedilia beside it. The stained glass in the
east window is of 1920.

Listing NGR: TL9896068980

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.