This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2471 / 52°14'49"N
Longitude: 1.1093 / 1°6'33"E
OS Eastings: 612352
OS Northings: 265548
OS Grid: TM123655
Mapcode National: GBR TKH.586
Mapcode Global: VHL9T.5SS7
Entry Name: Shrublands
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Last Amended: 14 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281687
Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD BROCKFORD GREEN
TM 16 NW
3/102 Shrublands (formerly
29.7.55 listed as "Shrublands"
Farmhouse. Late C16 3-cell main range; late C15/early C16 work to rear,
extended to left and linked to main range in C17. Timber framed, the main
range with exposed close studding except right gable end which is rendered.
Work to rear also has exposed framing. Roofs mainly plaintiled. 2 storeys,
part with attic. Main range is end-jettied to left. 2 and 3-light casement
windows without glazing bars, those on the ground floor of mid C20, the upper
ones older. Lobby entry: C20 battened and studded plank door, plain surround
and cornice. To right of centre is the original cross-entry, now blocked.
Stack has square plinth from which rise 4 separate square shafts set
diamondwise: the plinth and moulded bases of the shafts are original, the
remainder rebuilt C20. Left gable end has good projecting 4-light ground
floor window of c.1600 with ovolo-moulded mullions. Evidence for original
first floor and attic windows above. At rear is an original gabled stair wing
with later additions each side. Against rear wall of service cell is a
massive stack with 4 offsets, perhaps of 1738 (dated brick). Parlour cell has
original rear doorway (blocked), an unusual feature. Rear block is in
parallel to main range, offset to the right: 3 secondary diamond-mullioned
windows to front, plank door, internal stack with plain axial shaft. One-
storey dairy added on left gable end. Interior. Earliest work is right hand
half of rear block, comprising one complete bay (into part of which the stack
has been inserted) and a fragment of a second which continued to the right.
Full-height studding, one reverse-curved brace, tie beam at bay division
removed. Original but fragmentary roof has sooted rafters and wind-braced
side purlins, suggesting a former open hall or smoke bay. Left cell of rear
block has plain studding and ceiling joists; one original gable window with
chamfered mullions and diamond glazing bars. Hall has chamfered-joist
ceiling. Service room enlarged by removal of partition wall with hall:
slightly chamfered ceiling joists, blocked fireplace with 3 C17 cupboards
adjacent. Parlour chamber retains original division into 2 rooms. In hall
chamber, 2 doors retain outlines of birds, the only remains of a similar
painted decoration covering the whole of this room in C19. Intact stair with
circular newel post. Some good C16-C17 doors, mainly in rear sections. Roof
over main range not examined.
Listing NGR: TM1235265548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings