This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2657 / 52°15'56"N
Longitude: 1.2113 / 1°12'40"E
OS Eastings: 619226
OS Northings: 267919
OS Grid: TM192679
Mapcode National: GBR VLL.T8L
Mapcode Global: VHL9V.Y97Y
Entry Name: Fleming's Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Last Amended: 23 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032413
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281307
Location: Bedingfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Bedingfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bedingfield St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BEDINGFIELD HALL ROAD
TM 16 NE
4/26 Fleming's Hall
(formerly listed as Fleming's
29.7.55 Hall and barns)
Manor house. Probably medieval core, largely rebuilt C16 in 2 or more phases.
Interior altered mid C20 with much mainly C16-early C17 work brought from
elsewhere. Single storey C20 rear additions. A single long impressive range.
Timber framed, the ground floor of the facade faced in red brick of c.1700
with later patching, the first floor plastered with exposed studding, now
mostly replaced by mid C20 applied timbers. Rear part plastered, part exposed
studding. Fine shaped gable ends of c.1600, of red brick laid in English
bond; each has corbelled eaves with spike pinnacles and a good integral stack
of 4 octagonal shafts with moulded bases and caps. A further stack against
the rear wall with 2 octagonal shafts, the upper part rebuilt. 2 storeys and
attics. C20 reproduction windows: mullion and transom pattern to ground
floor, mullioned to upper floor; all have diamond-leaded glass. Fine late C16
2-storey porch, just to left of centre, in cross-entry position: red brick
facade, close-studded sides. Moulded 4-centre arched entrance with moulded
and pedimented surround. 3-light mullion and transom first floor window in
brick, also pedimented, with traces of stucco. Crowstepped gable with
stuccoed spike pinnacles at base and apex; within the gable is a small
circular window. Within the porch is a C16 doorframe and plank door with
panelled face. Gable ends have paired 3-light mullion and transom brick
windows on ground and first floor, all with hoodmoulds; at attic level is a
pair of small oval windows, pointed at the top. Left gable end altered on
ground floor, the windows removed. Interior. Some C16 framing is exposed,
notably the close-studded upper end wall of the hall. The hall ceiling has 2½
bays of narrow on-edge joists. Dog-leg stair with solid treads; the
balustrading incorporates re-used C16 and C17 material. Fireplaces have
depressed brick arches, 2 stuccoed. Roof over hall chamber has clasped and
butt purlins, with arched wind-bracing; 2 tie beams carry long slender square
crown-posts with 2-way collar bracing. Items introduced from elsewhere
include overmantels, panelling and carved doorways. Encircling medieval moat.
Sandon, Suffolk Houses, 1977, pp.167-9.
Listing NGR: TM1922667919
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings