This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1691 / 52°10'8"N
Longitude: 0.9965 / 0°59'47"E
OS Eastings: 605012
OS Northings: 256547
OS Grid: TM050565
Mapcode National: GBR SJT.SX7
Mapcode Global: VHKDP.7R41
Entry Name: Barn About 50 Metres North West of Holyoak Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279949
Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Combs
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
THE FOLOWING ITEM SHALL BE ADDED:
COMBS CHURCH LANE
TM 05 NE
3/174 Barn about 50 metres
North West of Holyoak Farmhouse
Barn. Dated 1849. Weatherboarded timber frame on tall red brick plinth in a Flemish
bind derivature (alternating 2 headers and 1 stretcher). Welsh slate roof with gabled
Plan: 10 narrow structural bays with the threading floor in the 2 central bays with
a midstrey at the front attached to which is an integral store or granary in the
angle to the left entered from inside the midstrey.
Exterior: The north east front has a central midstrey with an integral outshut in
the angle to the left undera lean-to roof carried down as a catslide from the main
roof. The midstrey has divided double doors of vertical planks. The north west
elevation has similar doors to a central cart entrance.
Interior: The frame on the tall brick plinth has vertical studding between the wall
posts without a mid rail but with long straight tension braces. Unusual roof
construction for a barn of this date. The 10 narrow roof bays have principal rafters
with curved brackets bolted to the wall posts and similar brackets under the high
collars, 2 tiers of staggered butt purlins and common rafters complete with a ridge-
board. The only tie-beams on either side of the threshing bay. The roof and frame
of the midstrey and integral outshut are also intact. The frame is of soft-wood
except for the wall-posts either side of the threshing floor, the north east of these
has inscribed on it-"J.Meakings October 6th 1849", carved in upper case letters with
The barn is unaltered except for a floor inserted later into the east end.
Listing NGR: TM0501256547
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings