This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2682 / 53°16'5"N
Longitude: -1.4854 / 1°29'7"W
OS Eastings: 434419
OS Northings: 374698
OS Grid: SK344746
Mapcode National: GBR LZ2N.65
Mapcode Global: WHDF8.43YW
Plus Code: 9C5W7G97+7R
Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79492
Location: Barlow, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S18
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Barlow
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Great Barlow
Church of England Diocese: Derby
Tagged with: Church building
SK 37 SQ
PARISH OF BARLOW
HACKNEY LANE (West Side)
The Parish Church of St Lawrence
Parish Church. Early C13, with additions and alterations C14 and C15, and neo-Romanesque chancel 1867, by S Rollinson. C20 furnishings. Ashlar and coursed rubble coal measures sandstone, with quoins, coped gables with ball and cross finials, and stone slated roofs.
Nave with bell-cote, south porch and south aisle chapel, and chancel with vestry to north wall. Six-bay nave with blocked clerestorey lights to first bay, one square-headed, the other a former C17 two-light window with segmental arched heads. Bellcote with masonry west wall, with plain chamfered opening and louvred shutter. This was enlarged to form a bell tower, now with weather-boarded cheeks, and leaded ogree roof with a wooden finial and a weathervane. Gable south porch with copings, and a stepped and chamfered arch rising from moulded imposts. Stone benches with wooden plank seats. The porch encloses a C13 quoined doorway with a semi-circular arched head, springing from plainly-moulded imposts. Above, a chamfered hood mould, with a stone head set above it. Planked and studded door, set into a panelled oak surround, with a semi-circular head. A stone staircase rises to the east of the porch. Transeptal south chapel beneath a monopitch extension to the nave roof, with a five light Perpendicular window, having plainly moulded mullions with shallow ogree heads and diamond leaded lights. Two-light Decorated pointed east window, the lights with trefoil heads which support an apex quotrefoil. Remaining nave bay with step to head of single pointed early Decorated 'Y' tracery window. Blocked priests door, C13, with massive irregular quoins and rounded ends to deep lintel. Shallow clasping buttress to southeast corner. Two bay neo-Romanesque nave, rising from a plain stepped and chamfered plinth, shallow buttresses and two plain C19 semi-circular headed windows with quoined and chamfered surrounds. Clasping buttresses to east end which has a tripartite window with semi-circular arched heads. Wheel window above, to gable apex, with moulded spokes. Vestry with C19 two-light window with semi-circular heads to lights and a moulded column with a cushion capital. Plain buttresses to north wall, and steps to plain basement doorway. Semi-circular headed doorway to west wall. Nave north wall with a single light square-headed window and a two-light window to the west end with segmental heads. West window with tall chamfer mullioned four light window with transoms beneath plain drip moulds.
Interior. Organ to west end, and above a C19 font, with a circular bowl with foliage decoration, standing on a moulded stem. Late C19 roof trusses. Window in nave north wall retains medieval splayed reveals. Stepped chancel arch with a roll moulding to the inner arch. Reset medieval piscina in chancel wall, disturbed during demolition of earlier east end in 1967 as part of remodelling. C19 double seat and piscina in south wall. Early C20 screens to chancel arch, and screen of 1938 to south aisle chapel. To the south side of the chancel arch, taping stone slab, possibly a reset coffin cover, with inscription in Norman French, and in Lombardic characters, in memory of Julia, wife of Adam Francis d.1250. Incised alabastor slab, set against transeptal south chapel wall to Robert Barley d.1467 and his wife (in fact buried at All Saints, Derby). Hatchement and Charity boards by the south doorway.
Listing NGR: SK3441974698
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings