History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bolehill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barlow, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.267 / 53°16'1"N

Longitude: -1.502 / 1°30'7"W

OS Eastings: 433313

OS Northings: 374556

OS Grid: SK333745

Mapcode National: GBR KZYN.ML

Mapcode Global: WHCD3.W4YT

Entry Name: Bolehill House

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087795

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79483

Location: Barlow, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S18

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Barlow

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Great Barlow

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 37 SW
Bolehill House
House, formerly an academy or school and schoolhouse. 1677,
with repairs and alterations in 1797 and C19. Coursed squared
coal measures sandstone with a shallow chamfered plinth, quoins,
coped west gable with moulded kneelers, intermediate and end
ridge stacks and a stone slated roof. Irregular T-plan house,
the main range comprising six bays with a lower bay to the east
end, and a two storey entrance porch at the west end, in the
same plane as the main range, but only half the width of the
house, its diminutive gable facing west. South elevation. Two
storeys, seven bays, the three western bays being further
advanced, and with a lower eaves than the remaining three two
storey bays. At the west end a doorway to the porch with a
quoined surround and a planked door. Each bay with a 3-light
window to the ground floor, and a 2-light above, all the windows
having chamfer mullions and glazing bar casements with gothic
intersecting heads. The ground floor openings sit beneath a
continuous dripmoulding which embraces the doorway and which has
a label stop. The three bays to the east contain an entrance
bay, with a quoined doorway and a planked door and above, a
pointed arched opening with a moulded surround and glazing bars.
This doorway and the two 3-light chamfer mullioned windows to
the east also sit beneath a continuous dripmoulding, the two
remaining first floor windows being 2-light openings, all with
gothic glazings. The lower bay to the east end is plain. An
inserted plaque at first floor level above the west door reads
'This Acad'y was Built by the inhabitatns of Barl'w in the year
1677 and was duly repaired in 1797 Demms(?) Mas't'.

Listing NGR: SK3331374556

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.