This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9703 / 51°58'12"N
Longitude: 1.0127 / 1°0'45"E
OS Eastings: 607041
OS Northings: 234484
OS Grid: TM070344
Mapcode National: GBR SMB.JVM
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.HQRZ
Entry Name: Bellcage to North Side of Churchyard
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278755
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Built-Up Area: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL
6/47 Bellcage to North Side of
Bellhouse. Probably late C16. Timber-framed on red brick plinth. Plain tile roof.
Rectangular on plan. Plank and muntin lower wall with open lattice work above.
Door to left with long strap hinges. Overhanging steeply-pitched hipped gableted
roof. Interior contains bell frame with five bells, one dated 1450. Some wall
posts jowled. Posts to centre of each wall with knees support tie beams. Roof
of lower level of butt purlins with clasped purlins above. Built to house the bells
after the erection of the west tower of St Mary's Church (qv) was abandoned. Said
to have been resited from the east side of the church in C18 at the request of
Joseph Chaplin of Old Hall (qv).
Paterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk 1923 pp 90-95
Pevsner N, Suffolk 2nd ed 1974 p 196
Listing NGR: TM0704134484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings