This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.97 / 51°58'12"N
Longitude: 1.0126 / 1°0'45"E
OS Eastings: 607033
OS Northings: 234456
OS Grid: TM070344
Mapcode National: GBR SMB.JTL
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.HRP5
Plus Code: 9F33X2C7+22
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278754
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Built-Up Area: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Tagged with: Church building
TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL
6/46 Church of St liary
Church. Chancel C14 with C15 alterations. North and south chapels mid C15 with
later alterations. South aisle later C15, incorporating C14 south door. 1525 date-
stone on tower. North aisle, clerestory and nave arcades c1530s - 40s.
Restoration 1850s - 60s. Further alterations and additions of early C20 by
T G Jackson. Perpendicular style. Tower of brick and flint faced with knapped
flint. North aisle mainly brick with some septaria and roughly-dressed stone.
South aisle brick and snapped flint. Later stucco to aisles, now removed. Ashlar
clerestory. South porch and chancel rendered above plinth. Ashlar dressings
throughout. Plain tile roofs. West tower with passage through, 5-bay aisled nave,
south porch with parvise, 2-bay chancel with single-bay chapels to north and south.
Tower: incomplete, raised only to single stage. 5-sided angle turrets, ashlar
plinth with encircled quatrefoils containing shields. Much weathered flushwork
above. Wide north and south arches to passage. 2-centred moulded arches on inner
responds with continuously moulded jambs under square label containing encircled
quatrefoil with shields and mouchettes to spandrels. Date plaque above south arch
now illegible. Passageway retains vault shafts. West doors have linenfold
panelling and enriched central baluster. West front has C20 paired traceried
windows and is surmounted by C18 octagonal bellcote. South aisle: plinth, flush-
work band, flushwork buttresses with niches and truncated pinnacles. Tudor-arched
3-light Perpendicular windows. Battlements throughout enriched with carved shields.
South porch of 2 storeys with domed stair turret to west. Flushwork plinth and
diagonal buttresses with niches. Pointed arch, the inner order on responds, with
continuously moulded jambs enriched with shields. Hoodmould surmounted by square
label with encircled quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels. Single-light
window to parvise under square label. Parapet. North aisle: plinth, flushwork
offset buttresses with brattishing. Large 4-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery. Polygonal 3-stage stair turret to east surmounted by finial, with the
mullet device of the De Veres, Lords of the village manor of Old Hall from 1425.
North door: linenfold panelling with central baluster in continuously moulded
surround enriched with niches and shields. Square moulded surround with outer
colonettes and decorated spandrels. Clerestory his 3-light segmental-pointed
windows with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel and Chapels have 3-light windows with
Perpendicular tracery. Diagonal buttresses to chancel and 5-light east window.
Embattled parapets. Interior: nave arcade of 2-centred arches on piers of section
four shafts and four hollows with moulded capitals to shafts. Pointed chancel arch
on triple responds. Original roofs to south aisle and chancel. Nave roof of 1854.
Angle corbels to south chapel, reroofed 1866. Easter Sepulchre with C15 wall
painting. Wall monuments to William Jonar 1636,and to Edward Lambe d.1617 with
niche containing kneeling figure flanked by angels and surmounted by entablature
with hatchment and obelisks. Early C18 marble chest tombs to Chaplin and Parker
families in south chapel. Memorials to Maria Constable, Wife of John Constable,
and her grandfather Dr Rhudde.
Pevsner N, Suffolk 2nd Ed 1974 pp 195-196
Paterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk, 1923 pp 52-90
Riches A, Victorian Church Building and Restoration in Suffolk 1982 p 366
Elam J F, St Mary's Church East Bergholt 1986
Listing NGR: TM0703334456
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings