This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9714 / 51°58'16"N
Longitude: 0.8748 / 0°52'29"E
OS Eastings: 597564
OS Northings: 234223
OS Grid: TL975342
Mapcode National: GBR SM5.60Z
Mapcode Global: VHKFL.3QT4
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 23 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278402
Location: Nayland-with-Wissington, Babergh, Suffolk, CO6
Civil Parish: Nayland-with-Wissington
Built-Up Area: Nayland
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Nayland St James
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1. CHURCH LANE
Nayland with Wissington
Church of St James
TL 9734 27/651 23.3.61.
A stone rubble church mostly of the C15 but with a C14 chancel and west
tower. The upper part of the tower and parapet was rebuilt in 1834.
The nave and part of the aisles have castellated parapets. The south
porch was added by William Abell a C15-C16 clothier (circa 1525) and was
rebuilt in 1884. His tomb is in the church. The south aisle and octagonal
rood staircase tower is mentioned in a will of 1492-93. The north door
has linenfold panelling and a border carved with vine trails. The nave
and aisle roofs have moulded beams and rafters and the nave beams have
carved spandrels. The interior has C15 and C16 brasses and as an altarpiece
a painting by Constable of Christ at the last supper (1809).
Listing NGR: TL9756434223
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings