This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2346 / 51°14'4"N
Longitude: -1.7896 / 1°47'22"W
OS Eastings: 414788
OS Northings: 148396
OS Grid: SU147483
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z9.JCS
Mapcode Global: VHB54.X7SF
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311049
Location: Netheravon, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Netheravon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Netheravon All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 14 SW
9/98 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish and prebendal church. C11, C12, C13 and C15.
Rendered flint with tiled roofs, lead to aisles. Nave with aisles,
chancel with north vestry, and west tower. Entrance through west
tower. A most impressive tall arch with roll moulded arrises on
paired half-round imposts with carved capitals. Low side doors
with monolithic lintels and blind tympana. This work all probably
early C11, the lateral doors leading to former porticus, the scars
of the walls of which are clearly seen. The west door was probably
under a porch or small west forebuilding. Nave C13, with corbel
table and lancet clerestory. Aisles have C15 three-light windows,
the west walls being the east walls of the demolished porticus,
with herringbone masonry. Chancel also C13, with simple side
lancets and 3-light Geometric east window. Tower has side-
alternate quoins and herringbone large flints, of 3 stages, the
upper stage offset, and having C11-C12 lights and a billet corbel
table. Two inset western buttresses disguise evidence of
forebuilding. 1626 parapet, the pinnacles removed.
Interior: West tower has high arch to nave, the imposts with 3
attached shafts leading through basic capitals to arris and
intrados rolls. Nave arcade C13, of 4 bays, round columns, the
eastern with four clustered shafts and trumpet capitals.
Clerestory has wide embrasures. Walls plastered in C19. Also C19
steep pitched open roof with crown posts and arch braced collars.
High door to former rood screen. Chancel arch C19 Romanesque, and
C19 open timber roof to chancel, which also has trefoiled piscina,
and aumbrey. South aisle extended east in C19, with C19 opening to
chancel and external door, both well carved. North porch
demolished after 1809. Fittings: Font, C19, octagonal. Pulpit:
c1919 highly carved with nodding ogees. Monuments: Two wall
monuments in chancel. North side: Marble tablet with shaped slate
field over, with draped marble urn on casket. To Thomas Herne of
Bloomsbury, died 1799. Panel added for niece, died 1909. South
side: Similar tablet by T. King of Bath. Marble panel with
pilasters. Draped urn on casket against grey slate field, to
Daniel Herne, died 1814. Simple brass on south wall, to John
Samwell, died 1669, and two late C19 brasses. C19 glass in east
and west aisle windows. Netheravon was probably a location of a
pre-conquest religious house.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England, Wiltshire; Taylor & Taylor, Anglo-
Saxon Architecture, 1965, 456-8.)
Listing NGR: SU1478848395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings