This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2989 / 52°17'56"N
Longitude: -1.2793 / 1°16'45"W
OS Eastings: 449242
OS Northings: 266996
OS Grid: SP492669
Mapcode National: GBR 7Q0.TMR
Mapcode Global: VHCV3.SH10
Plus Code: 9C4W7PXC+H7
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034911
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308721
Location: Grandborough, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Grandborough
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Grandborough St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
CHURCH ROAD (East side)
Church of St. Peter
Church. Mid C14; tower late C14. Tower restored 1848. Church restored 1862;
clerestory added 1863. Nave roof restored 1879. Squared coursed red sandstone.
Tower of limestone ashlar. Tile roofs, chancel of C20 tile; nave and aisle
lean-to roofs have coped gable parapets with kneelers. Chancel, aisled nave,
north chancel aisle, west tower. Decorated style with reticulated and other
tracery, mostly with hood moulds. 3-bay chancel, 2-bay chancel aisle. 4-bay nave
and aisles. Chancel has diagonal and 2 south buttresses of 2 offsets. 4-light
east window has intersecting tracery. Tomb recess below has re-used C12/C13
moulded Romanesque arch and upper parts of shafts and colonnettes, and remains
of gable. South doorway of 2 chamfered and moulded orders with C19 plank door.
3-light western window with blocked low-side window below, and 2-light windows.
North window has Y-tracery. Aisles have diagonal and other buttresses of one
offset. 3-light east windows. North and south doorways of 4 moulded orders and
hood moulds with foliage stops. C19 double-leaf doors to south, old plank door
to north. 2-light eastern and south aisle west windows have curvilinear tracery.
Western windows have Y-tracery. North aisle has straight-headed 2-light north
and west windows with hood moulds and head stops. Clerestory has trefoil lights.
Perpendicular tower of 3 stages. Double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 5
offsets. Moulded string courses. West doorway of 2 chamfered orders. C19
double-leaf doors. Second stage has deep-set 3-light window with splayed sill
merging with string course. Third stage has clock in moulded stone surround.
Paired 2-light bell openings have transom with blind tracery below. Continuous
hood mould. Cornice and moulded embattled parapet. Fine recessed spire. North
and south sides have chamfered straight-headed light instead of clock face.
South side has canted stair projection in 2 staggered sections, the upper rising
from south aisle roof. Interior is plastered. Chancel roof has medieval
elements, with moulded tie beams and carved bosses, cusped arched braces and
curved scissor braced rafters. Trefoiled ogee piscina. 2-bay north arcade has
octagonal pier and responds to upper part only. C19 lancet opening to west.
Arches of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and half-octagonal responds
throughout. Chancel arch has responds to inner order only. 4-bay arcades have
splayed bases and moulded capitals. C19 moulded arched brace roof. Higher tower
arch has responds to inner order only. Timber rib vault. South aisle has
fragments of piscina. Aisle roofs, mostly C19, have moulded beams and rib. Wide
chancel aisle arch. Fittings: elaborate mid C19 stone reredos with texts. C18
altar rails have column-on-vase balusters and fluted newel posts. Pulpit said to
be C17 (V.C.H.) has traceried openwork. Brass corona of c.1862. Mid C19 stalls
and pews. Mid C19 octagonal font has moulded base and top with traceried frieze.
V.C.H. Warwickshire, Vol. VI, pp.97-99
Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.296
Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.101
Listing NGR: SP4924266996
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings