This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3384 / 52°20'18"N
Longitude: -1.534 / 1°32'2"W
OS Eastings: 431846
OS Northings: 271250
OS Grid: SP318712
Mapcode National: GBR 6MY.8ZM
Mapcode Global: VHBXB.CHD7
Entry Name: Stoneleigh Abbey
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308140
Location: Stoneleigh, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV8
Civil Parish: Stoneleigh
Built-Up Area: Stoneleigh Park
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stoneleigh St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 5 July 2017.
Present sandstone ashlar house built on four sides of a central open space roughly coincident with cloister garth of Cisterian Abbey founded in 1155. It embodies some remains of the abbey, several C12 arched doorways and portions of the walls. Also an early C14 undercroft, probably to the dormitory at the south end of the east wing. This is 70' x 28' with a central row of octagonal columns supporting quadrapartite vaulting.
Northern wing (Long Gallery) and east wing date from 1570s but incorporate south transept and south aisle of the monastic buildings. Northern wing largely reconstructed (by Charles S Smith of Warwick in early C19) when Gothic porch built in 1836. East wing of three storeys and attic is a succession of nine gables. Narrow south wing built in 1770. West wing designed by Francis Smith of Warwick between 1714-1726. Rectangle 170' x 45'. The west facade consists of a lower heavily rusticated ground storey, a main floor approached by an exterior staircase, and two upper storeys surmounted by a heavy projecting cornice and balustrade. Each of the two upper storeys has 15 windows; five in the central slightly projecting section; three in each of the recessed sections, and two in each of the slightly projecting flanking sections. Giant fluted Ionic angle pilasters. On the main floor at the head of the staircase is a doorway enriched by a curved pediment and fluted pilasters. On this floor the windows have curved pediments, and on the floor above triangular pediments, and on the top floor no pediments. All windows are sashes with glazing bars and are in moulded architraves with keyblocks.
Interior of west wing contains a range of five State Apartments, a central entrance hall or saloon, flanked by two drawing rooms to north, and by a dining room and sitting room on south. Chapel immediately behind the southern two rooms. Saloon of mid C18 date with very rich stucco work and screens of scagliola columns which divide room into 1 - 3 - 1 bays. Immediately behind saloon is early C18 staircase by Thomas Eboral of Warwick and decorated wall panels and ceiling of c.1764 by Robert Moore of Warwick. Chapel decorated in 1744 with woodwork by George Eboral and Benjamin King, stucco work by John Wright.
Stoneleigh was the seat of the Leigh family, maternal relatives of Jane Austen, who is known to have visited the Abbey and found inspiration for her work.
Listing NGR: SP3184571262
This listing was enhanced in 2017 to mark the bicentenary of Jane Austen's death.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings