This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1469 / 52°8'48"N
Longitude: -1.5329 / 1°31'58"W
OS Eastings: 432058
OS Northings: 249949
OS Grid: SP320499
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q8.98N
Mapcode Global: VHBY9.C9ZJ
Plus Code: 9C4W4FW8+QR
Entry Name: Church of Saints Peter and Paul
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307240
Location: Butlers Marston, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Butlers Marston
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Butler's Marston
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
10/3 Church of SS. Peter and Paul
Church. C12, C14 and C15. Restored 1872. Coursed, squared limestone and
ironstone ashlar, with ironstone dressings. Old and new tile roof. Chancel, nave
with south aisle and west tower. Chancel of C12 origins is of one bay, with
plinth, diagonal buttresses and coped gable. To east a C19 window of 3 trefoiled
lights and reticulated tracery. Hood mould with carved label stops. To north a
C19 single trefoiled light with ogee head, hood mould and carved label stops.
Small outshut attached to right. C19 vestry to south has chimney, plank door
with moulded surrounds and a 2-light mullioned window with carved lintel. Nave
of 3 bays has plinth, offset buttresses, and coped gabled with restored sanctus
bell-cote to east. To north three C19 windows of 2 trefoiled lights and plate
tracery. Hood moulds with carved label stops. Late C12 south aisle widened C14.
To centre left a C19 door within C14 pointed ovolo moulded arch with hood mould
and label stops. C19 gabled vestry. Doorway with pointed, chamfered arch, hood
mould and carved label stops. Small light to either side. To left a C15
squareheaded, 2-light mullioned window with restored chamfered surrounds, hood
mould and label stops. To right a squareheaded, 4-light mullioned window with
hood mould and label stops. Attached to west wall three C19 memorials. C15 tower
of 3 stages with plinth, offset diagonal buttresses rising to bell tower stage
and a string course to each stage, that to embattled parapet with carved heads
and animals. To west a C15 window of 2 trefoiled lights, double chamfered
surround and hood mould with carved label stops. To second stage on north and
south a single chamfered light. Bell stage has 3 two-light trefoiled windows
with transoms, the lights below trefoiled. Stone slate louvres, hood moulds and
label stops. Interior: east window of chancel has original C14 inner splays and
chamfered arch. C19 vestry doorway and arch. C19 chancel arch and roof. Nave has
south arcade of 3 bays with late C12 round piers with flat leaf capitals, square
abaci and pointed arches. Responds to east and west have moulded bases. To west,
a small squint into the chancel. C15 tower arch with double chamfered surrounds,
and a pair of moulded capitals to each side continuing into moulded band on west
wall. C17 low pitch roof to nave with chamfered tie beams, purlins and rafters,
with stops, carved bosses and C19 angel corbels. C19 roof to south aisle.
Stained C19 glass in chancel and north wall. In north of chancel wall a pair of
monuments dated 1790 and 1791. Above south arcade a hatchment. Below a wall
tablet dated 1684. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils, and cusped lights around
shaft. Polygonal pulpit dated 1632, much restored C19.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.222; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, pp.28-30).
Listing NGR: SP3205849949
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings