This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1744 / 52°10'27"N
Longitude: -1.4906 / 1°29'26"W
OS Eastings: 434934
OS Northings: 253024
OS Grid: SP349530
Mapcode National: GBR 6PY.MYZ
Mapcode Global: VHBY4.3LVZ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307031
Location: Chadshunt, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Chadshunt
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Gaydon with Chadshunt
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
CHADSHUNT KINETON ROAD
SP35SW (West side)
7/35 Church of All Saints
Church. Mid C12 nave, lengthened C14; early C15 clerestory, roof and buttresses.
C17 tower. Chancel and north transept c.1730. Restored 1866 and 1906. Nave of
squared coursed ironstone, remainder of ironstone ashlar. Nave has tile roof;
chancel and transept have tile roofs with coped gable parapets and moulded
kneelers; chancel has pediment. Chancel, nave, north transept, west tower.
Chancel of one large bay, 3-bay nave. Chancel has plinth and cyma recta moulded
cornices Venetian window has moulded stone architrave with fielded panelled
mullions and keystones. Wall below breaks forward. Round-arched south window in
stone architrave with impost blocks and keystone. North wall has monuments of
1788 and 1813 to the Whateley family. Nave has double splayed plinth to western
part. Early C15 buttresses. Hollow-moulded cornice. C12 south doorway, with some
C14 alterations, has Romanesque shafts and pointed arch of 2 orders, the outer
moulded. Early C18 fielded 6-panelled door. Eastern window of paired lancets.
2-light C14 western window has reticulated tracery and hood mould. 3
straight-headed clerestory windows of paired trefoiled lancets, with hood
moulds. South buttress has small carved head. North door similar to south, but
round-arched with hood mould; left shaft missing. Clerestory window similar to
south side. Parapet. North transept, containing family pew, has round arched
window with keystone to east and west. North side has similar 2-light window
with basket arched doorway breaking into the bottom. Fielded 8-panelled door
with wrought iron strap hinges. Stone architraves throughout. Tower of 2 stages.
Moulded double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets to tall first
stage. Low wide chamfered 4-centred west doorway has ribbed and studded door.
Double-chamfered straight-headed west window of two 4-centred lights with sunk
spandrels. Similar louvred bell openings. Moulded cornice and crenellated
parapet. South-east stair projection has slit windows. Interior: chancel has
deep coved plaster ceiling with rectangular panel and penetrations above east
window and chancel arch. Double-chamfered round chancel arch without imposts.
Nave has small C13 piscina and fragment of blind tracery. Restored low-pitched
C15 king post roof has moulded tie beams and braces and stone corbels. Carved
bosses below king posts, mostly foliage, but first bay has the Paschal Lamb, and
a carved head on the post. Beam above chancel has numerous bosses.
Double-chamfered round arch with moulded imposts to transept forming raised
family pew. Panelled wood segmental barrel vault with moulded ribs and bosses.
Fittings: C12 font has round bowl with intersecting blind arcading and nailhead,
and moulded base. Chancel has dado of painted fielded panelling. Wrought iron
parcel-gilt altar and chancel rails of c.1730. Fielded panelled pulpit c.1730.
Panelled family pew, probably mid C19; front mid C20. Lobby to pew has elaborate
mid C19 encaustic tiled floor. Stalls and pews throughout are mid C19. Stained
glass: family pew has panels of Italian painted glass, said to be dated 1558, in
stained glass settings of 1855. Wall monuments: chancel south: Sarah Clarke
1765. Nave south wall: Walter Newsham 1621: pilasters and large strapwork crest.
William Askell 1613: brass. Michael Askell, died 1697, by Richard Taylor. Doric
architrave with urn, seated putti and winged heads.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.32-33; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP3493453024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings