This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3515 / 51°21'5"N
Longitude: -1.6665 / 1°39'59"W
OS Eastings: 423324
OS Northings: 161427
OS Grid: SU233614
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZF.CGC
Mapcode Global: VHC23.29CB
Plus Code: 9C3W982M+HC
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312219
Location: Burbage, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Burbage
Built-Up Area: Burbage
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 26 SW (east side)
2/10 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. 1854 and 1876 by T.H. Wyatt, with C15 west
tower. Flint with interspersed limestone ashlar, upper stage of
tower of ashlar. Low pitched slate roofs to nave and aisles,
steeper pitched slate to chancel and chapels, lead to south aisle.
Nave with north aisle, south aisle added 1876, south porch.
Chancel with south lady chapel and balancing north vestries. Two,
3 and 4-light windows with C19 variants of early Perpendicular
tracery. Reset C14 window to west end of north aisle, and some C14
porch details. Angle buttresses and sturdy flying buttresses to
east ends of aisles. West tower, short, of 2 stages. Stair tower
on north side with external door. West door in 4-centred head and
3-light C15 window with casement mouldings over. Two light
openings to bell stage. Crenellated parapet with crocketed
pinnacles. South porch has arch dying into imposts and moulded
inner door. C19 external framed wood gates with wavy iron spikes.
Interior: Slide nave of unplastered ashlar. Roof of 4 bays with
half bay at east end. Arcades of 4 chamfered arches on octagonal
columns. Two light clerestory windows. Tall tower arch with
ringing gallery over entrance porch. Wide chancel arch with wave
moulded inner order and applied gilded inscription around
hoodmould. Open traceried panelling to timber trusses and
cinquefoiled central arch. Moulded purlins and open rafters. Wide
chancel with imposing east window. Two bay arcades each side and
narrow east bay. Tiled floor. Panelled roof on moulded and
brattished wall plate. Lady chapel has trussed rafter roof and
oculus over east window. North chapel subdivided to vicar's and
choir vestries. Fittings: Font, C19 octagonal limestone bowl with
inscription and linked cusping. Pyramidal oak cover, detached.
Pulpit 1854, open 2-light arches in pine. Brass eagle lectern.
Altar rails on iron scrolled brackets. Glass: East window and
south window, by Powell. Monuments: Nave, west end. Two wall
a) Limestone. Shield on square panel with cornice over with
draped urn, table below with flower on apron. Not read.
b) Limestone charity memorial. 18... Limestone with inset white
marble tablet. Crown over, lightly carved pendants at side and
putto on apron. Commemorating Philip Pearce's donation to
church and to foundation of a school for reading.
South aisle: Great War memorial, marble within limestone frame.
North aisle: White marble tablet with red marble frame, all
mounted on black slate, by Harrison. To Hon Anna and Amelia Noel
Hill, died 1837. Three C19 brasses set to nave columns.
Furniture: C18 or early C19 oak parochial chest with three locks.
Cast iron plaque recording grant of £465 to rebuilding, and
designating 12 numbered seats for the poor, is now affixed to wall
of south side of Blackman's Lane.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)
Listing NGR: SU2332461427
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings