History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Horningsham Congregational Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horningsham, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1692 / 51°10'8"N

Longitude: -2.2702 / 2°16'12"W

OS Eastings: 381205

OS Northings: 141136

OS Grid: ST812411

Mapcode National: GBR 0T4.NVL

Mapcode Global: VH97M.LWP3

Entry Name: Horningsham Congregational Chapel

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036378

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313331

Location: Horningsham, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Horningsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

ST 84 SW
(east side)
2/110 Horningsham Congregational


Congregational chapel. Probably c1700, interior restorations 1754,
1816 and 1863. Random rubble stone with brick dressings, half-
hipped thatched roof. Gable end to road. Single storey with
internal gallery, 3 windows. Entrance to east gable end; double
C19 doors in reveals, 20-pane segmental-headed sash over, Bath Sun
fire insurance plaque over door. North side has three 2-light
leaded casements and blocked doorway, 2-light leaded casements to
three eyebrow dormers lighting gallery. South side has same
windows and two buttresses with offsets. West end has two leaded
cross windows with segmental-headed lights and cast-iron plaque
with date 1566.
Interior: gallery on three sides, supported on turned wooden
columns, panelled front and pews probably of c1816. Early C19
pentagonal panelled pulpit on pedestal with reeded wooden panel
with broken pediment behind, at west end. Circular clock over east
end of gallery, row of wooden chapel hat pegs along north side of
gallery. Pews in body of chapel late C19. Wooden tablet on north
wall records ministers from 1791 to 1959. Arch-braced collar roof
is plastered to form a segmental barrel vaulted ceiling, repaired
in 1960s. The chapel is reputed to have been founded in 1566 for
the Scottish Presbyterian workmen, employed on the building of
Longleat House (q.v.), but no documentary evidence supports this
and the present building is hardly earlier than c1700. (N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST8120541136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.