This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0013 / 52°0'4"N
Longitude: 1.1943 / 1°11'39"E
OS Eastings: 619361
OS Northings: 238465
OS Grid: TM193384
Mapcode National: GBR VPV.GRM
Mapcode Global: VHLC0.NY7Q
Entry Name: Stable Block to Woolverstone Hall
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277322
Location: Woolverstone, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Woolverstone
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Woolverstone St Michael
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM L938 WOOLVERSTONE WOOLVERSTONE PARK
7/43 Stable block to
Stable block and coach-house, now converted to accommodation. 1770s incorporat-
ing Tudor brickwork with mid Cl9 water tower and later alterations. By John
Johnson for William Berners. Woolpit brick front with entrance faced in rusti-
cated Portland stone and with Coade stone ornament. Returns and courtyard
interior in red brick, partly reused. Slate roofs. Quardrangle plan. 2
storeys. Entrance range of 9 bays. Central carriage arch with mask keystone
and paterae to spandrels. Open dentilled pediment containing clock. Wings:
3 recessed bays to each side with round-arched recesses to ground floor, ashlar
1st floor band, casement windows above. Dentilled cornice. Outer bays have
full-height round-arched recesses containing thermal windows at 1st floor level.
Parapet with rectangular panel flanked by paterae and surmounted by ball finials.
Hipped roof. To entrance bay a 4-stage tower, the lower part rusticated, with
pilastered angles and arcading above. Frieze and dentilled pedimented gables.
Interior of courtyard: Round-arched recesses, 1st floor band with segment-arched
6-pane sashes above. C20 alterations include insertion of garage doors to far
side. The Old Hall, which was demolished at the time of building Woolverstone
Hall (qv), stood on this site and was the source of the reused bricks incor-
porated into the stable block.
Listing NGR: TM1936138465
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings