This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0115 / 52°0'41"N
Longitude: 1.162 / 1°9'43"E
OS Eastings: 617096
OS Northings: 239511
OS Grid: TM170395
Mapcode National: GBR VPM.SQC
Mapcode Global: VHLC0.3P5T
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277283
Location: Freston, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Freston
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Freston St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 13 NE FRESTON CHURCH LANE
4/4 Church of St Peter
Church. C13-C14. Extensive restoration of 1875. C19 additions include vestry and
porch. Flint rubble with some septaria to tower, ashlar dressings. East end rendered.
Porch of knapped flint and ashlar with timber superstructure. Plain tile roof.
West tower, continuous nave and chancel, south porch, polygonal organ chamber to
south and similar vestry to north. 3-stage tower with 2-light west window and belfry
openings. Diagonal off-set flushwork buttresses. Off-set top stage embattled.
South porch contains a continuously-moulded pointed door with stiff-leaf stops. Nave:
2-light windows with C19 tracery. Blocked north door continuously-moulded with
foliate stops. Single-light windows and pointed doors to organ chamber and vestry,
under conical roofs. Chancel: 2-light window to south, heavily restored, retaining
head stops to hoodmould. 3-light east window with C19 intersecting tracery. Head
stops to hoodmould. Interior: tall tower arch with sanctus bell window above. C19
timber roof and fittings. Ogee-arched cusped piscina to chancel. C16 octagonal font
with alternating panels of lions and demi-angels with shields, on renewed base.
Black ledger in tower with achievement of arms, in roundel inscribed to John
Wright 'patron of the church' d. l1 February 1723. Stained glass on north side of
nave of 1922 by William Morris and Co.
Listing NGR: TM1709639511
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings