This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0059 / 52°0'21"N
Longitude: 1.1555 / 1°9'19"E
OS Eastings: 616675
OS Northings: 238862
OS Grid: TM166388
Mapcode National: GBR TNG.BXL
Mapcode Global: VHLBZ.ZV75
Plus Code: 9F432544+96
Entry Name: Bond Hall
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277291
Location: Freston, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Freston
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Freston St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 13 NE FRESTON FRESTON STREET
4/12 Bond Hall
House. Mid C16 with later additions and alterations. Timber-framed, part cased
in brick and rendered. Brick stack and additions. Plain tile roof. Off-centre
lobby-entry plan. 6-bay frame. 2 storeys and attic with single storey addition.
4 bays of frame exposed to front, rest concealed behind addition under catslide
roof to right. Close-studding. Jettied first floor, bressumer concealed by later
timber. Ogee down brace to 1st floor left. Painted brick gabled porch with
elliptical arch contains half-glazed door. Two 3-light mullion and transom windows
to left with leaded lights. To right a section of moulded brick plinth originally
supported an oriel window which has been replaced by a 3-light mullion and transom
window with leaded lights. A small 2-light blocked mullion window survives to either
side. First floor: 3-light mullion and transom window with leaded lights with blocked
smaller 3-light mullion window to left. Small 2-light glazed window above porch.
To right remains of another oriel window with flanking smaller blocked 2-light windows
now replaced by a 3-light mullion and transom window. Ridge stack, left gable end
framing exposed, some brick nogging. 2 blocked 2-light mullion windows. Interior:
stout, good quality framing exposed. Jowled posts. All beams moulded with ovolo
and hollow chamfers, some foliate stops. Room to left has moulded plaster ceiling
with boar, ram and fleur-de-lys motifs. Some timber details imported, including
fireplace with large carved head corbels and pointed arch to staircase with carved
spandrels. Spiral newel stair adjacent to stack. First floor: framing exposed,
jowled posts, some arch braces to tie beams. Further moulded beams. Several original
doors with fittings including a plank door to attic stair with dragon head H-hinges.
Clasped purlin roof with wind braces. Some remaining wattle and daub to gable end.
Listing NGR: TM1667538862
Other nearby listed buildings