This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9787 / 52°58'43"N
Longitude: -1.9786 / 1°58'42"W
OS Eastings: 401534
OS Northings: 342375
OS Grid: SK015423
Mapcode National: GBR 269.BKW
Mapcode Global: WHBD3.LD19
Entry Name: Mill House
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Last Amended: 8 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274884
Location: Cheadle, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Cheadle
Built-Up Area: Cheadle
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Cheadle St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 04 SW CHEADLE C.P. RAKEWAY ROAD (East side)
6/81 Mill House (formerly listed
as Old Mill House Farmhouse)
Farmhouse. Dated 1635 with minor C19 alterations. Coursed dressed and
squared Hollington red sandstone of ashlar quality with white sandstone
dressings; tiled roof on moulded naive Baroque eaves band; verge parapets
on corbelled kneelers, pitched copings and ball finials at apices.
Massive central cruciform-shaped ridge stack of brick on stone base.
T-shaped lobby-entry plan. Two storeys and gable lit attic; three-window
front; symmetrical layout of five light mullion and transom windows
(labelled to deeper ground-floor windows). Framing a 3-light mullioned
centre window over single-storey gabled porch, string at kneeler level
implies a pediment; lintel over entrance inscribed 'ANO 1635'; substantial
boarded door set back on face of house is C17 with strap hinges. Lower
set-back wing to left with 3-light mullioned, gabled dormer. Two widely
spaced 2-light mullioned windows to ground floor; circular shafted
end stack. Right hand gable has a range of 4-light labelled, mullioned
windows to attic, first and ground floor; similar range to rear wing.
Interior: C17 panelled parlour to right of entrance with 2 contemporary
panelled doors; ceiling has 2 chamfered main beams with stepped run-out
stops and chamfered joists. Room to left of entrance has chamfered
beams and part blocked fireplace. Small stair hall to rear of stack
has doors to both front rooms, staircase and rear wing.
Listing NGR: SK0153442375
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings