History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade I Listed Building in Betley, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.0329 / 53°1'58"N

Longitude: -2.3658 / 2°21'56"W

OS Eastings: 375563

OS Northings: 348459

OS Grid: SJ755484

Mapcode National: GBR 02C.W4B

Mapcode Global: WH9BL.M1M8

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038581

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273303

Location: Betley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, CW3

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Betley

Built-Up Area: Betley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Betley St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 7448-7548; 10/24

CHURCH LANE (south-west side)

Church of St. Margaret




Parish church. Core of circa 1500 with C17 and C18 additions, heavily restored
and partially rebuilt in 1842 by Scott and Moffat. Sandstone ashlar
encapsulating a timber-framed core; plain tile roof with shaped tile
bands and stone coped verge. West tower, 4-bay nave with side aisles;
2-bay chancel.

West tower. Early C18, four stages with diagonal buttresses
and moulded cornice at the base of a coped parapet with corner pilaster
strips. West door to the left with 4-centred arch. Possible former
south door, now a window, with semicircular head and ogee moulded surround.
Second stage west window of two semicircular headed lights. 4-centred
belfry windows of two trefoil-headed lights and Y-tracery with ogee-moulded
surrounds. Nave and aisles. Both aisles have slim buttresses at the
bay divisions and corners, the latter being diagonally placed; and
square-headed windows with three trefoil-headed lights, panel tracery and returned
hood moulds. Similar east and west window of two lights. Coped aisle
parapets with string course incorporating carved human heads. C19
timber-framed north and south porches, each with pointed entrance, braced king
post in the gable, and shaped barge boards. Timber-framed clerestory
with diagonal braces between windows of two trefoil-headed lights and sunken
spandrels. Chancel. 1610. Chamfered plinth and slim buttresses,
those at the corners projecting diagonally. Each side has a square
headed window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with sunken spandrels and a
hollow chamfered surround. Priest's door to the south with pointed
arch and wave moulded surround. Large 5-light pointed east window with
sub-arcuated Perpendicular tracery and hollow chamfered hood mould terminating
in carved human heads.

INTERIOR. Timber arcades of circa 1500:
octagonal columns with moulded capitals, from which spring arched braces
with ogee and quarter-round mouldings, which form the arches of the arcades
and which brace the tie beams of the main roof trusses. The columns
continue upwards to the wall plate of the clerestory showing this to
be an original feature even though it has been subject to considerable
restoration. Open timber roof with cambered and brattished tie beams
and cambered collars; raking struts extend between the two; two pairs of
moulded purlins and two sets of curved wind braces. C19 aisle roofs of
slanting tie beams on curved braces. Arch-braced collar roof of 1610
over the chancel; the braces spring from console brackets and there are
decorative pendants. Fittings. Baluster font in the chancel with
scalloped basin, probably C17. Wall panelling around the sanctuary
of similar date. C19 stalls decorated with poppy heads. Chapel in
the east bay of the north aisle with early C16 screen: Perpendicular
with linenfold panels and open arches above, and a carved frieze of vine
leaves, grapes and a continuous undulating stem. C17 hexagonal pulpit
with two tiers of panels carved with semi-circular arches springing from
Ionic columns; gadrooning around the top and guilloche ornament to the
edges. C19 pine pews. Font, probably C13: cylindrical stem with
moulded base, and quatrefoil section basin. Monuments. Ralph Egerton,
died 1610: three kneeling figures: man, woman, and female child; heraldic
shields in the background, Ionic columns to each side and a top with
central semi-circular arch. George Tollet and Elizabeth Toilet, erected
1768: architectural tablet with open semi-circular pediment, and urns
crowning the corners.

Listing NGR: SJ7555648459

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.