This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6433 / 52°38'35"N
Longitude: -1.7418 / 1°44'30"W
OS Eastings: 417568
OS Northings: 305093
OS Grid: SK175050
Mapcode National: GBR 4FB.BFK
Mapcode Global: WHCGX.6TTG
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038801
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272832
Location: Wigginton and Hopwas, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B78
Civil Parish: Wigginton and Hopwas
Built-Up Area: Hopwas
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Tamworth St Editha
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 10 NE WIGGINTON C.P. HOPWAS
4/79 Church of St. Chad
Chapel-of-ease. 1881. By John Douglas. Red brick, timber framed
in the upper parts; plain tile roofs, shingled spirelet. 5-bay nave,
single-bay chancel, the 2 parts are linked by a central tower with south
vestry and north annexe accommodating the organ. Nave: north and
south sides have timber window frames of 3 and 4 cusped ogee headed
lights, and timber framing of closely spaced studs. 2 pointed west
windows of late C14 Perpendicular type with linked returned hood
moulds; 2-light window above with square head and straight hood mould.
Pointed south door with ashlar surround and moulded arch; gabled south
porch with pointed opening and king-post roof. Tower: 2 stages, single-
storey vestry and organ annexe with lean-to roofs and rectangular loops,
door to west end of vestry; the upper stage has rectangular panel framing
and tension braces; gabled stair turret on south side. Chancel: 5-
light east window with Perpendicular tracery and a square head; 2-light
windows to north and south also with Perpendicular tracery. Exposed
collar and tie beam roof truss with king strut and diagonal tracing.
Interior: the tower has brick east and west arches with quarter roll
and fillet mouldings. The nave has arch braced collar roof trusses
complete with wall posts from which the braces spring, and king posts
above the collar. The tower is ceiled by a network of beams and a
plank floor; segmental pointed arch to the north giving access to the
organ, and a pointed vestry door to the south; 8-bay blind arcade
above door level to the south. North and south chancel windows have
segmental pointed rere-arches. Fittings: octagonal stone font. Full
set of contemporary pews. Good wooden pulpit with stone base and steps,
and open cusped arches. Other contemporary woodwork includes a lectern,
benches with poppyheads, and a good wooden altar rail with traceried
panels. Stained glass: good east window or 1890 depicting scenes from
the life of Christ. B.o.E. p. 151.
Listing NGR: SK1756805093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings