History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hopwas War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Hopwas, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6433 / 52°38'35"N

Longitude: -1.7416 / 1°44'29"W

OS Eastings: 417583

OS Northings: 305096

OS Grid: SK175050

Mapcode National: GBR 4FB.BHR

Mapcode Global: WHCGX.6TYF

Entry Name: Hopwas War Memorial

Listing Date: 6 September 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1458926

Location: Wigginton and Hopwas, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B78

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Wigginton and Hopwas

Built-Up Area: Hopwas

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Summary

A First World War memorial, made by Mitchell and Sons, Tamworth, unveiled on 12 October 1919; altered by the addition of names from the Second World War in about 1947.

Description

A First World War memorial, made by Mitchell and Sons, Tamworth, unveiled on 12 October 1919; altered by the addition of names from the Second World War in about 1947.

MATERIALS: Peterhead granite.

DESCRIPTION: A Celtic cross with a tapering shaft, 12 feet (about 4m) high, with a shallow foot set on a tapering plinth, the whole on a three-stepped base. The head of the cross is carved with interlacing. The tapered sides of the plinth have carved laurel wreaths on consoles. The inscriptions are incised, and picked out in black lettering. The shaft is inscribed in an elaborate Gothic font THEIR / NAME / LIVETH FOR / EVERMORE. [sic]. The foot is inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD. The plinth is inscribed with the names and ranks of the 22 dead, and the months in which they lost their lives, below the inscription AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF HOPWAS / COTON AND ALDERS, WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN / THE GREAT WAR FOR HONOUR AND FREEDOM. The first step of the base carries the names of the six men who fell in the Second World War, under the inscription ALSO IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN WORLD WAR / 1939-1945.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at the Church of St Chad in Hopwas, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the men of Hopwas, Coton and Alders, who lost their lives in the First World War.

The cost of the war memorial, which was made by Mitchell and Sons of Tamworth, was raised by subscription, and it was unveiled in a ceremony by Rev W Macgregor on Sunday 12 October 1919.

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial at the Church of St Chad in Hopwas is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a well-executed granite memorial with elaborate carved detailing.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Chad, in whose churchyard it stands.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.